Will You Bee Mine?

Cas is making his brother’s best friend, Dean, a Valentine’s Day card.

It’s a mess of glue and glitter, but there’s a pretty cute bee on the front along with the words ‘WILL YOU BEE MINE?’, and Dean is twelve years old so he should probably find it corny and make a joke out of it, but Cas is holding up his little handmade card so earnestly and hopefully, and—let’s face it, Dean has always had a soft spot for the kid.

So instead of doing any of that, he accepts it and thanks Cas by taking him out for ice cream. It’s not a date, they’re too young for that, but Cas beams brightly the entire time.

Years later, when Cas is 18 and has just graduated high school, Dean finally asks him out on a real date. On the day itself, he takes him to that very same ice cream parlor and asks Cas whether he remembers when they were there years ago, and Cas gets all red and mumbly as he recalls handing Dean ‘that sad excuse for a Valentine’s Day card’.

Which is of course when Dean reaches into his backpack and pulls out the old, battered thing, giving Cas a teasing smile as he looks it over, “I don’t know about that,” he starts, “I thought it was cute.”

Cas chokes and stutters at the sight of the card, but eventually his wide eyes settle back on Dean’s face and he can’t hide the wonder in his voice, “You kept it all this time?”

Dean shrugs, feeling a little self-conscious now that he’s the sole focus of Cas’ attention, but he doesn’t get to do that for very long, because before he knows it, the card gets knocked aside as Cas basically crawls into his lap, kissing Dean for all he’s worth, and hey, Dean’s not complaining.

They don’t get to order their ice cream in the end because a sheepish, embarrassed waitress approaches them to say she’s really happy for them and they make a super cute couple, but could she possibly ask them to keep it PG before her boss has an aneurysm? So Cas thanks her and just grabs Dean’s hand, pulling them out of there because apparently that is not a thing that is happening and, whoa, Dean is totally on board with this.

They’ve just left the place when Dean realizes he forgot his bee card, so in spite of Cas’ pouting, he goes back for it.

Hours later, Cas is lying asleep in his arms in the backseat of the Impala and Dean couldn’t be happier. He spots the abandoned Valentine’s Day card on the dashboard of his baby and grins brightly. Cas might not understand what that card means to him, but Dean’s got plans for it.

He’s gonna need something to show their kids when they ask who made the first move, after all.