fifteen • one life

Start from the beginning

The town found it... odd that Violet had opted for a fast wedding, obviously not knowing it was Anthony who begged for it, and Lady Whistledown sure liked to talk about the possibilities of the very situation. Within the church, Anthony was attended by his brother, Benedict, and Simon led his cousin down the aisle.

Anthony watched closely, as her dress moved across the floor, not failing to notice the small jewels that adorned the fabric on her arms. Smiling at the flowers in her hair.

It seemed to move by so fast, the exchange of vows, the initial union. Nola looks down to her hand, and sees the perfect band that adorned her finger. Similar to her engagement ring, with a larger sapphire at the center of attention. She knew her life was now changed. She was a wife. The wife of the Viscount. The wife of Anthony.

She was a Viscountess. She bared a title, and no one could ever speak to her like a child again. She longed to consider how long it would take her to look up when someone referred to her as "Lady Bridgerton", and not "Miss Addington". She bit her lip, feeling as if she had inhabited a different body, a different persona.

She had domestic duties. Wife duties to attend to. Including, the events of the wedding night. Frankly, she was horrified at the idea. Forgetting where she currently was, her attention was drawn back to her current situation. Anthony's hand rested on her lower back as she stood within the halls of the Bridgerton house. Nearly the whole town in her presence. She chugged the glass of water within her grasp, breathing in and out quickly, catching Anthony's attention. "My dear, are you alright?" She brushed off his question, leaning up to whisper in his ear,

"I need to breathe..." she eagerly attempted to escape his embrace, being caught by the wrist, before getting too far.

"Would you like me to come with?" He questioned, worriedly.

"No!" She snapped, causing him to frown. "No... people will talk, my lord." She attempted to calm him by placing her hand on his cheek. "I will only be a moment." He nodded, uncertainly. Watching her as she rushed up the stairs, he searched for his mother, begging her to go find his bride, and find out what was causing her distress.

Searching through the rooms within the estate, Violet finally found Nola sitting on Daphne's bed, looking quite distraught. "Nola...?" She whispered, catching the young girl off guard, and catching the tears that had rolled down her face. "My dear, what has happened?"

"Nothing, I promise. I simply needed to... catch my breathe."

Violet, catching her in her lie, "Nola, you can talk to me. I am, technically, a mother to you now, my dear. What is bothering you?" She rested her hand on the girls shoulder.

"I'm scared."

"Scared? Of what?"

"What is everyone referring to about wedding nights?" Violets eyes widened.

"You mean... Ginevra did not speak of..."

"No," Nola muttered, cutting off Violet. "I was told absolutely nothing..."

"Well, it really isn't my place to..."

"Please, Violet. I will go in completely blind with no idea as to what is to happen."

With a light nod, "very well... lack of knowledge only makes it more... nerve wracking. What is it that you do know?" Violet asked.

"Sloan claimed it was pleasant, although I do not know what it is?"

"A woman's enjoyment depends entirely on her husband. The mans... depends on the love he feels for the woman. It can be a pleasant event for the man and the woman, although a woman does not always feel pleasure from the act. I assure you will not be upset by his further... intentions," she gulped, remember she was discussing her eldest son. "I'm sure he will be very... gentle, and attentive with you."

All that Nola seemed to take from the rest of the conversation was that after whatever happens... happens, she will never feel any emotion for another man? She may understand incorrectly, but the idea that she can't seek pleasure from anyone else, but Anthony could find it in anyone else scared her to bits. She panicked, knowing she was never intended to be Anthony's wife, slightly doubting his faithfulness towards her, once again. Noticing the panic on Nola's face, Violet continued, "I understand the suddenness of this whole affair, my dear, but I can assure you, you will always find comfort, and love in my son. You have nothing to fear."

Nola believed Violet to be wrong, for she felt she had much to fear.

_____________
Hello, Readers!!

I just wanted to state that the next chapter WILL include smut, so it uncomfortable, feel free to skip it, there will be a recap in the following chapter! As for some events that will happen, I will begin to slightly follow the events of "The Viscount Who Loved Me" from the talented Julia Quinn. Inspiration from chapter 16 were used today.

Thank you!

Lauren