Despised

Kamau

The afternoon was deceptively sunny and mild, with a gentle breeze that swirled around them in the scrubland of the foothills as Kamau rode toward the only stretch of trees northwest of town. Further south, there was a creek that wound from the mountains with fresh water and the trees followed it, though this outreach of greenery was far enough from the water source that they were stunted, thin, and bent by the open winds.

Roc and one twin, Semsa, rode with him, though they remained quiet and on guard, riding behind him with their hands on their weapons. With news of the Raiders and knowing they were meeting a witch, no one was relaxing. As they approached, Kamau was certain he could see through the thin cluster of trees to the rocky wasteland that led into the mountains beyond, scowling at the thought that he may have to wait or search for this contact.

This witch.

When they were only a dozen or so yards away, however, a dark form moved out of the shadows and appeared to watch their approach. His initial impression was of swirling, shadowy robes that shifted and moved like a maelstrom around the figure. But when he pulled up to a halt several feet away, the figure was merely wearing some sort of black metal and leather amour with a black cloak, complete with hood. There was a pistol on a belt around the witch's waist and two sword hilts over their shoulders.

It confused Kamau.

He had always heard that witches were more like priestesses of dark magic, had never heard of them described as warriors. Not that he studied much about their kind, he only knew what the fables and myths, rumours and tall tales told him.

"Stay here." He muttered to his two companions as he dismounted, tossing Roc his reins before he strode toward the waiting figure.

"General Itri." The voice was female, though it echoed, as if being spoken from a distance further than the few feet he left between them.

Kamau scowled, sizing up the figure that was shorter than him, and possibly half his weight, though he couldn't judge with all the armour and fabric hiding most of her form. "Do I get to know who I am talking to?"

An amused chuckle, with far more humanity than he expected, was his response. Then a slight movement of the head, though he still could not see the witch's face. "I wear my armour when I am amongst those who wish to kill me."

Kamau froze, a frigid chill of dread going down his spine. "You know the mission?"

"I know you, need to be escorted into the edge of the world. And I can see by your expression, and the fact that your body guards are aiming their rifles at me, that you dislike the concept of striking a deal with a witch." There was amusement, more than accusation, in her voice.

And Kamau fought with all his self-control to not turn around and look at the other two. He had not told them to draw down on the woman, not that he would admit it to the witch. Kamau would not give her any hint of dissension between him and his team, so he let her think that it was all part of the plan.

With a snort, he nodded. "I was told the deal was made for me. I just accept your service and pay you."

"Semantics... but they keep your conscious clear, I suppose. Yes, the down payment." One leather gauntleted hand motioned to the ground between them.

Kamau tossed the two bags of gold down, thankful he didn't have to come any closer to her. "When will you be ready to leave?"

There was a pause, then the slightest hint of a shrug before he heard a soft sigh. "Tomorrow morning, meet me here an hour after dawn. Can you get your supplies that quickly?"

He nodded, then hesitated before turning away, glaring hard at the dark figure. "You'll protect my team? This money, this buys your loyalty? You won't betray us?"

"I can only betray a betrayer, while in a deal. And only upon the actual act of betrayal." Her voice almost sounded sad or world-weary.

Pity was not something Kamau was prepared to harbour for her, so he braced himself against it, crossing his arms over his chest. "Your word?"

"And the binding nature of deals. But I give you my word, your safety and the safety of your team is my only concern." Her voice was stiff and hollow and still so very distant.

They stared at one another for several long moments, then finally Kamau nodded. "Do I get your name?"

"A witch's true name is known only by those she truly trusts. But you can call me V." The figure made a dismissive gesture, before crouching down to pick up the gold, the bags disappearing into the folds of the cloak that had shifted around her shoulders, obscuring most of her body.

Without waiting for his response, she turned and slipped back into the forest, form becoming indistinct from the lengthening shadows.

Kamau backed up several steps before turning to stride the rest of the way back to his horse, seeing both Roc and Semsa watching the trees suspiciously, their rifles in their hands. He scowled, but could not summon any words of censure for them drawing down on the witch. With a shudder, he turned his horse around and started back toward the town.

"Funny, I kinda expected the horses to not like the dark power." Semsa murmured when they were a fair distance away.

Kamau glanced over to the warrior. "Why?"

"Animals are sensitive to the evil of a person. I've seen mine sense Raiders several miles off, but the witch, didn't bother her none." Semsa shrugged.

"Maybe your horse is broken." Roc chuckled, finally sliding his rifle into the holster on his saddle. "We gonna have to keep watch on the witch as we travel, aren't we?"

"I'm not an expert, but I think she was telling the truth. She can't do anything to us now that she's accepted our payment. But we'll still set a watch, no matter how proficient she insists her magic is at shielding us." Kamau nodded, before cracking his neck to dispel the tension settling there. "If there was any other way out there..."

"I mean, we could possibly make it. But it would be a million times harder, dodging storms and monsters and shit." Semsa laughed ruefully. "Hopefully, if we need her, those blades just aren't pretty baubles."

Kamau didn't answer, though he scowled as he realized there were far more unknowns than knowns in their scenario. Sure, the witch provided protection from the unstable environment and preternatural dangers they would face, but he also had to figure out how his team was going to get back after he impaled her on a blade and threw her into some magical pit.

He told himself that was his only worry.