CHAPTER TWO

I threw my cell at the doorway, hitting Addison in the chest. She caught it before it landed on the floor.

"It's the second time this week I caught your phone you threw at me. What gives?" She plopped down next to me at the kitchen table as I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes. I had a bad habit of staring at my computer screen too long, working on a creating a website for an author client.

"You weren't my intended victim. I threw it because I was frustrated. Gem has been texting and calling me nonstop since six o'clock this morning." I rotated my neck from side to side and brought up the web browser to check out Maison University's homepage.

"That bitch won't quit. Next time she calls, give me the phone, and I'll tell her to fuck off." She sent me a vindictive smile and stretched her arms overhead, making her chest thrust out in her skimpy, faded tank top.

"I'll keep ignoring her like I've done for the past six weeks." Something in my mouth cracked as I yawned.

"Ignoring her or the situation with her brother won't make it go away." She fiddled with the silver stud in her nose and then drew back her more-pink-than-chestnut hair in a clip. Her hair was straight like mine, but she had bangs, while I parted my hair down the middle.

"I know." I tugged on my bottom lip as I scanned the summer classes for the art department. "I want her to experience the confusion I felt whenever I called her or her brother or wanted to see them and they never got back to me."

Addison whistled and jumped up from her chair. "I'm loving this new you. It's time you stood up for yourself." She walked to the kitchen counter. "I'll make us lattes to celebrate."

"There's nothing to celebrate. You just want an excuse to drink more caffeine." I relaxed in my chair, much calmer than when I woke up. For the past couple of years I'd had a bad case of insomnia. I slept an average of four hours a night, but since staying with Addison, I wasn't as exhausted and on edge. It most likely had to do with being away from the L.A. scene and the twins.

"I've cut down on my caffeine take. I have one latte a day." She started to prepare her cappuccino machine. I stayed away from it because it was too complicated to use.

"You've become a great barista." I found the digital art class I wanted to take started at the end of June.

The spoon she held fell to the counter with a sharp ping. "I can't remember the last time I' saw you smile." She leaned over to look at my laptop monitor. "What made you happy?"

"I wouldn't say happy but pleased." I turned my laptop toward her. "I'm thinking of taking some summer art courses at Maison for credits toward my bachelor's. I guess I smiled because they have a digital art class."

"Why do you need a bachelor's? You already have an associates, and you run your own company without your family's help." She tapped the spoon on her chin. "You make more than I do with your projects."

Addison and her cousin Benny ran a very profitable tattoo shop. People, including celebrities, traveled there from hundreds of miles away. They also had family connections like mine, but theirs were political. They kept it under wraps for some reason. Then again, they were the outliers. Born and raised in Yorba Linda, California, they'd escaped to the East Coast and never left. It was why I clicked so well with her, and our friendship survived even with the distance.

"Getting a four-year college degree is on my bucket list." I bookmarked the page and returned to the project I was working on. "I know it sounds lame—"

"Stop right there." She brought over our lattes and sat down. "Getting an education is far from lame. I wish I had the motivation to do it." She lifted her mug and inhaled, her face lighting up with authentic pleasure. "I also love you have a bucket list because I don't."