Chapter 5: Surge

Author's Note: Here is the last chapter! Tomorrow I will be starting a new one that I'm pretty happy with. There is also plenty of Scomark goodness to come in that one, so please keep your eyes peeled! :) As always, thanks so much for reading. I appreciate you <3

Chapter 5: Surge

"Mark... Mark, wait."

Mark couldn't stop to look behind him. He couldn't bear to face what had just occurred. He had just been humiliated beyond anything he had ever experienced in his entire life.

"Mark. Please, just wait."

It wasn't the voice he was hoping for, he registered after a moment. He paused in the driveway, turning slowly to lock eyes with Mitch.

"That wasn't fair."

Mark was silent. It was a better alternative to, "Of course it wasn't fucking fair, I'm humiliated six ways to Sunday, but thanks for your pity."

They turned to find Scott walking towards them, looking at the ground like it was the most interesting thing he had ever seen.

"I'm gonna leave you guys to it. Scott... tell me you didn't retaliate?" Mitch asked, hopefully.

Scott smirked, shaking his head. "He lives to see another day."

Mitch nodded, returning to the house behind them. Mark suddenly couldn't make himself look into the blue eyes he had been missing desperately for the past year.

"Is it true?"

Mark wondered if he could get away with a full-out sprint into the woods behind them.

"That was the first time Mason said any of those things to me," Mark decided to confess, as he took a seat on the curb.

Scott sat next to him, allowing him to sit in silence for a moment.

"Do you really watch my videos?"

Mark could hear the smirk in the blond's voice, and a blush crept up his cheeks.

"I may dabble in Superfruit. You're funny."

Scott laughed, leaning back on his hands. "You could have texted me. I could have given you more funny content. Personalized funny content."

"Last I had spoken to you, you weren't my biggest fan, from what I can recall."

Mark couldn't cover up the hurt in his voice.

"Yeah well... your delivery may not have been ideal, but I'm thankful that you were the one to rid me of that poison..."

"Yeah, I somehow inherited that poison in my life. Karma's a bitch, I guess."

They laughed together. It was the first time that Mark found himself laughing at the whole situation. It felt so good to laugh.

It felt good to hear Scott laugh again.

"I thought about texting you a lot, you know," Scott nearly whispered.

Mark paused, feeling his heartbeat rise. "Why didn't you?"

Scott shrugged. "After our argument before I left... and then the FaceTime call... you didn't really seem to like me too much."

"I felt awful for doing that. I don't know what came over me."

Mark stopped his train of thought. That wasn't true at all.

Mark took a deep breath. "That's a lie. I know exactly what came over me. I was so done with Mason, with being ignored. And I looked at how Shawn was treating you, and I was pretty sure that it was even worse than what I was going through. And neither of us deserve that, you know? We're good people, no matter what anyone else says..."