Henry felt Aria wrap her arms around him from the back. He covered her hands with his.

“I don’t want to lose you either,” she whispered in his ear.

She could feel him heave a sigh. “Please. I’m competent enough. I want to be by your side. If I come along, I’d be informed of you.”

He was silent, contemplating on her words. He has to find another way to prevent this, “But the lords…” he started.

“I’ll speak to Lord Exeter myself.”

There was no way to dissuade her. Typical Aria, once her mind is set, nothing can change it.

“Alright.” Henry said reluctantly.

She could feel him going slack in her arms as he gave her his unenthusiastic approval. Henry closed his eyes as she kissed him on the cheek and felt her hands release him.

Oh what have I gotten myself into?

“My lord, I heard that the men are to leave for France in 2 weeks,” Aria said; later that day during her usual appointment with the men and Lord Exeter.

Exeter nodded and had a sad smile on his withered face.

“Aye… The King ordered it. We need to gather more men really. The ones we have probably not enough.”

Aha! Time to make use of this information and twist the truth just a little.

“Well that too I’ve heard. Which is why I have asked the King to allow me to follow the entourage in France.”

Exeter whirled to face her. His face was stunned.

“M- m- my lady…The king agreed?”

Aria smiled at him coolly and nodded. “You can ask him yourself.”

Exeter seemed flustered “No, no. There’s no need to.”

“It’s settled then!” Aria grinned as she left her post to approach some of the men.

“Where are we going?” Aria asked as she followed John from behind.

John had greeted her during her class with Lady Kensington and told the elder lady that Aria is excused from classes from now on. She was told to return to her room where Beth and Margret were waiting for her. Apparently Henry had armour made for her, complete with leather trousers, boots, a breastplate and chainmail. They took almost an hour to get Aria in that uncomfortable armour.

“The council told me you were joining us for our campaign to France.”

Aria nodded, walking rigidly, uncomfortable in her new clothes. John laughed at her facial expressions.

“I see the clothes are making you feel uncomfortable?”

“How does one walk in these leather trousers?”

John chuckled some more. “You’ll just have to get used to it.”

Aria huffed.

“Maybe you need to squat and stretch your legs so your trousers can be a little loose,” John suggested.

Aria cocked up an eyebrow and shrugged. They stopped in the middle of the plain field and John beckoned for her to come forward.

“What is this for?” Aria implored when John gave her a slim long wooden plank that resembles a sword.

“For your sword fighting lessons!”

Aria stared at him. He grinned, “And I’m your teacher!” John exclaimed, withdrawing his own wooden sword.