chapter 48

I stepped out of the castle doors, muttering a quick warming charm to protect against the February chill as I pulled my scarf tighter.

The morning air was hazy, a powdery fog had settled itself around the grounds, masking the mountains in the distance.

My feet hurried across the stone cobbles, heading in the direction of the rickety bridge where Violetta was waiting for me.

Her crow had arrived at my dorm window, tapping against the glass until I let it in and received her note asking to meet.

I'd thought it strange that she hadn't barged into my room as she usually did when wanting to talk.

The unusual request making me think that something might be wrong, so I'd swiftly rushed downstairs to find out.

I stepped onto the wooden bridge, heading towards her slender form waiting halfway along.

I only slowed once I reached her, coming to lean in the glassless window adjacent, overlooking the wide scope of the hills.

"Hey, what's up?" I breathed, watching as the air condensed into a cloudy trail.

She turned to look at me, the tip of her nose slightly red from the cold atmosphere, a serious expression upon her face.

"We're friends right?"

I blinked widely, surprised at direct and unusual question.

"Of course."

"And you'd be honest with me if I asked you to?"

I shifted on my feet, nervous under the intense stare of her eyes, their expression urgent.

"Yes..."

"Then tell me, what is going on between you and my brother?"

I tensed, taken aback by the topic of choice, and the monotone delivery of her query.

I'd expected that such a moment would occur eventually, it was inevitable, but I hadn't accounted for it to happen like this, especially when Draco and I had barely been acknowledging each other in recent times.

"I mean..." I paused, struggling for words, "him and I... we..."

"So it's true," she stated, "there's something between you guys."

"Yes," I nodded in defeat, "how did you find out?"

"An educated guess mostly."

"What gave us away?"

She hesitated, her features firm and thoughtful, "well, when I saw the two of you at the ball I began to suspect, I mean he never dances voluntarily for a start. And since we've been back, I kept an eye on you guys, I knew something was strange that day in the hallway."

"I see..."

"How long has it been happening?"

"A few months."

"That long?" She arched an eyebrow in surprise.

"Yes, but you should know that I didn't mean for it to happen," I insisted, glancing at her nervously.

The predicament I'd wrestled with most since it all began, had been wondering how she might react to the news.

I'd prepared for the worst, readying myself for anger and disbelief, but so far she seemed eerily calm, as if she were merely interested in confirming the reality of the situation.

"I believe you," she stated, "he isn't exactly charming or romantic after all."

"Definitely not," I agreed, recalling how the night of the astronomy tower had felt like a terrible accident and relieving incident, all at once.