Chapter 1 - The Talk of The Week

"Our profit has significantly declined, -15

"Our profit has significantly declined, -15.7% in the last six months. Let that number sink in: -15.7%. If we continue at this rate, Smith's incorporated might as well go bankrupt in a few years, all together with Shock Talk and our pathetic existences." his stick pointer made a slight banging sound against the projectory canvas, showing a graph of the company's decline in profit and earnings. Mr Ackerman, my boss, has always been a strict one. But this time, he was scary. He was sending me and my colleagues death glares, scanning the room with his cold gaze. I tapped my pen against my planner in anxiety, as the room went completely quiet.

The silence was uncomfortable, the tension could be cut through with a knife. It was scary, almost horrifying. The anticipation of my colleagues and I to hear our next task was just rising and reaching its peak. Were we all about to get fired? Was this the end of my carrier?

"Did you brats even hear that Glam had Eren Yeager on their cover last week?! An exclusive interview from him and a sneak peak for the premiere of A Midsummer Night's Dream live action adaptation. Those bastards." Levi was cussing out Shock Talk's biggest competition, a gossip magazine that only recently started rising on the charts, Glam.

Yes, I work as an editor and journalist for one of the best selling gossip magazines in the entire country. I only recently graduated from college, with an almost perfect gpa and big dreams ahead. I wanted to become one of the best critiqued and most wanted journalists. I wanted to travel the world, meet celebrities and live a prosperous life. Unfortunately for me, I was a broke university graduate still paying off my loans, stuck in my sister's apartment, living off of her rent. I felt like a useless parasite, especially now since my boss was cussing our whole team out for being, according to him, "brainless idiots".

"If we don't get an ultra exclusive story with somebody even more famous than Eren, we're doomed." he let out a sigh of disappointment and slammed his hands on the lacquer black table, all of us were seated at. His eyes were now, in contrast to a few seconds ago, almost pleading for a solution, for anybody to suggest literally anything.

Maybe this was my chance. Maybe, just maybe, this was my ticket to the top. If I manage to bring an exclusive story to our next addition, I could finally earn a spot with the best uprising journalists. Who knows, I might even get promoted, or get a raise. It was the perfect chance to show my resourcefulness.

"Sir, I want to be the one to find and report our next top story of the week." I announced with pride, standing up from my seat. My colleagues were clearly shocked at my sudden announcement, basically striking out of nowhere.

"Reiss! I knew that I could count on you." his mood suddenly switched to cheery and hopeful, a slight smile curving on the features of his face.

"Thank you sir! I promise to not disappoint you, nor this company."

"Excellent! You have until next morning to report me your idea and to start working on the story."

~