Chapter Two

Caidyn

The nightmares had followed Caidyn ever since she'd been on her own. Sometimes she'd wake up shaking, sobbing or drenched in a cold sweat. The vivid dreams followed her everywhere, taunting her and realizing her darkest thoughts and fears. She had hoped that the serene sense of calm she had garnered from the warm shelter and Caleb and Seth's kindness would carry over into her dreams but to no avail. Tonight she sat on an old wooden porch in the middle of a vast grassy field. The tall stalks of wheat were cloaked in darkness, the only light illuminating her surroundings a small kerosene lamp that dimly showcased the scene in front of her. Caidyn felt the wind whistle through her hair and heard the creak of her chair beneath her. The scene was pleasant and peaceful though Caidyn knew not to get comfortable for long. The lamp flickered beside her, eventually fluttering out and cloaking the porch in darkness. Caidyn blinked nervously, urging her eyes to adjust as a strange distant sound drew closer. Looking out she could see them stalking towards the porch, a wide mass of monsters, groaning and lurching as they moved. They surrounded the porch, dragging their mangled bodies across the field, wave after wave, eyes set on Caidyn as they pulled themselves toward the porch. She tried to moved, to run but her legs didn't obey her mind, staying frozen and stationary in the chair. 

"Help!" Caidyn shouted, waving her arms above her head but there was nobody around to hear her scream. The beasts drew closer and closer until they were upon her, close enough to reach out and touch her. The stench of lifeless bodies and rotting flesh overpowered her. A ripple passed through the horde, something pushing towards the front. Caidyn watched intently as one of the monsters clawed through the pack.She held her breath as the agile beast pushed forward until it stood directly in front of Caidyn. She watched horror as the recognition began to melt through her body. It's matted brown curls, the faded freckles on it's rotting face and the deep dark eyes, only recently consumed by a monstrous hunger. Teegan, it was Teegan. Caidyn screamed, tears spilling down her face as she watched the creature that had once been her sister stare into her vengefully. 

"I'm sorry Teegan!" Caidyn called through breathy sobs. "I'm so sorry." The beast reached forward, boney fingers reaching towards Caidyn's face as she awoke with a jolt. She sat up shaking, glancing around in terror. Caleb sat beside her, his eyes filled with concern. 

"Hey, hey! It's okay, you're all right now. It was just a dream." He said gently, reaching for Caidyn's hand. She jerked it away quickly and he sat back, guilty. She tried to slow her breathing at sit still but her mind was too scattered to focus. Caleb watched her nervously, almost as if he was worried she might implode at any second. He fumbled around on the floor before handing her a water bottle. She took it gratefully, gulping down as much liquid as she could manage.

"Are you okay?" Caleb asked quietly. "What happened?" Caidyn sighed and looked down at her feet. It was embarrassing enough to have nightmares as adult, let alone a meltdown in front of someone you'd just met. She looked back at Caleb, unsure how to justify her outburst. He looked at her intently, his eyes full of warmth and kindness. She smiled slightly and caved. 

"Just nightmares." Caidyn murmured softly. Caleb leaned forward, urging her to continue. "I've had them ever since I lost my sister. I'm really sorry, I don't want to scare you. I'll try and control my outbursts." Caleb looked at her sympathetically and held out a hand to help her to her feet. Caidyn smiled thankfully and took it, pulling herself to a standing position.

"Don't apologize." Caleb said, his voice soft. He glanced away from her, the expression on his face sad and yearning. "I understand." Caidyn bit her lip and gazed at him, trying to decipher the meaning behind his words. Had he lost someone too? Her thoughts shifted to Teegan and instantly her heart began to ache.