Sister Krone (2)

Kat's POV

I just finished up getting ready and when I passed by Emma's room. She's sitting up in her bed with a horrified look and her face. That place is pretty traumatizing. I wonder how she's going to handle it.

Knowing her she is going to try and escape, most likely with everyone. I've tried to escape before but it's impossible.

---

I head to the tree and sit beside Ray. I pulled out the book I started reading last night. I got so into it I accidentally stayed up all night. You can't blame me I started reading it and then the next thing I knew it was morning.

I'm so tired. It wouldn't hurt to just close my eyes for a few minutes, would it?

I soon found myself drifting off to sleep, my head falling over to one side.

---

I wake up to the sound of a bell that signals when we have to head inside. I sit myself up and suddenly realize the position I was sleeping in.

I was sleeping on Ray's shoulder! I felt a blush spreading across my face. Ray turned to look at me when I sat up.

"Have a good sleep?" he asks.

"Ah, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to," I apologized while waving my hands.

Ray just laughs and stands up.

'C'mon let's go,"

He stretches out his hand and I take it.

"Is everyone here?" Mom asks.

"Wait, two kids are missing," Gilda responds.

"Mom!" Someone called out running toward mom.

"Mark, what happened?"

"What should I do? I lost Naila in the forest! I tried looking, but I couldn't find her!"

Mom pulled out her 'pocket watch' and told him, 

"Don't worry. Everyone, stay here. Understood?"

Then she walks off to go get the girl. That so-called 'pocket watch' is actually a tracking device. Every kid here has a tracker in their ear. Even if I could break it or remove it without getting caught, there isn't a way to escape.

---

"Did you stay up all night again?" Ray asks me.

We were in the kitchen starting on dinner.

"What makes you think that?" I ask nervously.

"One, I saw you up at like three in the morning, and two, you fell asleep on my shoulder,"

"Fine yea I did" I mumble. 'But you can't blame me it's a good book,"

"You've read it 10 times,"

"Fair point,"

He chuckles.

"You know, if you can't sleep you can always talk to me until you get tired," he states.

"Oh um okay,"

I turn back to peeling potatoes. I wonder why he would do that. He would be sacrificing his own sleep for me. Come to think of it, why did he just let me fall asleep on his shoulder? He could have just woken me up but he let me stay there. I didn't even wake up until it was time to go inside.

---

Mom rang the bell pretty early today. I wonder what that is all about. Mom has us all gather in the dining hall. Standing at the front of the room is a tall black woman and an orange-haired girl.