Star Wars: Marooned (Part 4)

Serrin's dreams were fitful and dark. As he began to drift, he tossed and turned. He was very cold, and the nightmares returned to him. The shadows seemed alive in the dark corridors of the ship. They contorted and grasped at him as he ran down long, extending corridors. The floor seemed to stretch out before him, and as he ran the shadows drew closer. The sound of many, hideous voices quietly echoed around him.

Then the floor became slick and he fell. He landed on his chest and slammed his face into the floor. His hands felt sticky as he pushed himself up onto his knees. He looked down at his hands, his white tunic; they were covered in dark blood. Horror seized him as he looked up then down the corridor. A dark form blocked the distant light. Black robes moved with a stabbing cold breeze. Deep within the robed figure's throat, a slow, wicked chuckle began to vibrate into the freezing air.

Serrin tried to stand up, but he seemed rooted in place by invisible hands. The dark figure moved towards him. A strong hand grabbed Serrin's chin and forced his head back. The robed figure bent down close to Serrin's face. A dark orange fire erupted in the figure's eyes. "Is this the one?" the man whispered sarcastically as he searched Serrin's eyes with his own. As he spoke, many wicked voices seemed to drip from his lips. The man's touch was painful, but Serrin could not move to escape.

Serrin could feel the anger, the burning rage flowing out of the robed figure. His evil choked him; it polluted his air with its vile, thick poison. "I can feel your fear," he said. With that the man's free hand circled Serrin's throat. His grasp was like iron.

Serrin fought for breath as the man's hands began to tighten. The man began to slip into a shadowy form as he squeezed with impossible strength. Tendrils of black poison began to drift up Serrin's body toward his mouth. As Serrin began to gasp for air, his mouth opened. The tendrils of darkness began to touch his lips, and then began to drift into his mouth and into his throat.

The robed figure seemed to melt completely into a dark shadow. Only the eyes of dark orange fire remained. Serrin tried to scream, to close his mouth, but he could not. The man's grasp was just too strong. Then, the words of Serrin's grandmother came to him, "You will find your strength in peace, in the Force." Serrin's eyes closed as he withdrew into himself.

He reached outward for the life energy around him, and instantly he was filled with strength. The power of the Force freed him from his paralysis. With all the strength he could summon he pushed himself backward away from the cloud of shadow assaulting him. The sudden movement broke him free and he rolled away and onto his feet. The dark shadows immediately collected themselves again into the robed figure.

"Do you think you can escape me?" the wicked man asked. "Your destiny lies with me... you will kneel before your master." A scream shook Serrin awake.

Serrin's eyes slammed open with a tremendous intake of breath. His raw throat felt like it was stuffed with cotton. He could not see through the darkness above him. He rolled to his left toward Aut's direction. His body was stiff and cold, but he was energized by the power of the Force. When he jumped from his bunk the light streaming in the doorway from the restroom area slapped into his eyes. Aut was standing on the opposite side of her bed against the wall staring at Serrin with wide eyes. Her blaster was leveled at his chest.

"Aut!" Serrin said.

"Get out of the way!" Aut yelled.

Serrin felt the crackling energy behind him, a cold abyss threatening to swallow him. Serrin leapt to his right and rolled across the floor. He heard the shots of Aut's blaster as he rolled up and onto his feet. Turning around he watched Aut's shots disappear inside a great black writhing cloud of darkness that had engulfed his bed. His nightmare was a reality. His mind reeled for a moment as the feelings of dread threatened to crash down on him. Serrin worked to calm himself and watched as the blackness began to dissipate. Serrin thought could hear voices whispering as the darkness receded.