Chapter 9

Todoroki Pov

I sat in the cool air, the sun setting in the distance. Birds were chirping in the trees and I was right next to Bakugo, we were on the small balcony in my dorm. It was the next Wednesday and I had already gone through my dad's "training" for tonight, the bruises still fresh on my legs and torso. But it was okay, as long as I wasn't alone anymore I didn't mind. Bakugo had come by my dorm every morning to make sure I had eaten breakfast, I tried to keep it down and I did most of the time.

"Hey, Shoto," Bakugo said. The clouds looked like cotton candy, my heart still skipped a beat whenever he called me by my first name. "Can I ask you a question" His voice was unusually soft, he had gotten better at that recently, showing me his soft side. He was still the same in class and around others, but it seemed like when he was with me, he was able to let his mask slip a little bit.

"Sure"

"Why do you stay?" I remained silent "I mean, we live at a school full of pro heroes, we could tell one, we could help you."

I bit my lip, honestly, I didn't really know for sure. Maybe it was fear, maybe a part of me thinks I deserve it.

Well, don't I?

"I- don't know" I admitted "It doesn't matter anyway just give me more time" Bakugo sighed, I leaned my head on his shoulder praying to god that he didn't jerk away or get weirded out. He didn't, just let me sit next to him and have the comfort.

If I'm being honest, I didn't know how much time "more time" entailed. Before Bakugo found out, I was planning on waiting till I graduated, then I could become a pro hero and move out. Find a small apartment and forget that my father even existed like Natsuo. But now. . . would Bakugo let me do that? Would my father hurt me bad enough that someone else would finally notice and save me?

Bakugo Pov

As soon as his head touched my shoulder My face turned bright red. Ughhh, why did I keep reacting like this, still I didn't have the heart or desire to push him off. I watched the sunset and eventually heard his breathing shallow off, I turned my head to look at him. He had fallen asleep, he looked so peaceful.

His life was hard, it always had been. I wanted to help him, but it seems he didn't really want help. I kept trying to make something, anything change, but nothing happened. He still was getting hit, he still made new red lines on his arm with every day that passed. I know that these things don't get better in a week or even a month, but I can't help but think that if I didn't get help for him now, he would never get better. I needed to let him take some time first though, maybe I could talk him into getting help from one of our teachers.

God, why did I want to help him so much? I looked back at his face and decided not to wake him up, it looked like he needed the sleep. I threaded my arms under his legs and back and carefully picked him up carrying him back inside to his room before settling him down on his bed.

* * *

Todoroki Pov

I woke up to the sound of my alarm beeping, at first I was a little confused, wasn't I just outside? I rolled over and silenced the beeping. The last thing I remember was falling asleep . . . on Bakugo's shoulder! So how. . . unless he- no, well. . . OMG did he carry me to bed like a freaking princess?

A knock on the door distracted me from my thoughts. "Come in" I called The door creaked open and I saw Bakugo step in and close the door behind him.

"Hey, I didn't know if you had set an alarm or not so I came to see if you were awake. I also brought you some breakfast" He set a bowl of oatmeal on my desk as I stretched my arms and then peeled back the blanket that has been messily thrown on me.

"Thanks. Hey, last night did you- you know what, nevermind"

"Ok" He leaned his back against the wall, "I was thinking, Maybe we could go to that coffee shop together after school TO-To STUDY I mean." He looked flustered, It was cute.

"Deal" I said, a slight smile twitching at my lips

* * *

The cafe was warm and cozy with soft chatter. One of those places that made you want to go to sleep, but have a caffeinated cup of coffee at the same time. I loved it. I loved being alone with Bakugo. The barista called my latte and Katsuki's black coffee from the counter. I went up and tried to reach for my cup but Katsuki reached for both of ours at the same time and our hands met. We quickly pulled our hands back and my face had an ever so small blush on it.

"Y-You go find a table, I'll bring the drinks," he said

By the time we got back to the dorms, I was full-on smiling. We had studied of course, but we also shared jokes and made fun of our classmates and my father. For once in a long time, I felt at peace. I was safe with Bakugo in that charming cafe. The dark, mentally degrading thoughts had momentarily retreated to the back corner of my mind.

I felt happy.