Chapter 6

1851 Words

WARNING - LONG CHAPTER

Harry emerges, dripping, from the Pensieve and stares at his REFLECTION in the window opposite, watching as the liquid runs like tears from his face, then evaporates. Gently, he touches the center of his chest.

The castle is eerily quiet as Harry walks, the PORTRAITS he passes EMPTY. As he reaches the end of the corridor, he turns and stops. In the SHADOWS of an ALCOVE, Hermione murmurs to Regulus, their faces close. For a long moment, Harry simply watches them. Then, as if sensing his presence, Hermione turns. Instantly, she runs to him. Regulus follows.

"Where have you been?" asks Hermione. 

"We thought you'd gone to the forest, we thought you might be --" continues Regulus

"I'm going there now." replies Harry. 

"Are you mad! No!"

"It's... meant to be." Replies Harry unsure of the answer. 

"Rubbish! You can't just give yourself up to him --"

Hermione squeezes Regulus's arm, silencing him. 

"What is it, Harry? What is it you know?" Asks Hermione, her tone gentle. 

Regulus studies her face, then looks back to Harry. 

"There's a reason I can... hear them -- the Horcruxes." says Harry

Hermione begins to shake her head, not wanting to believe. Harry simply nods, touches the center of his chest.

"I think I've known for awhile." Harry studies Hermione "I think you've known too."

Hermione stands still, miserable.  

"I'll go with you. I'll --" She falters hopelessly as a single tear traces her cheek. Harry reaches out, wipes it away.

"Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him. Then it will be over."

He turns then, leaving them. Regulus and Hermione stand silently, watching every step he takes until he reaches the end... and is gone. 

Time skip to HARRY'S DEATH

(I am too lazy)

Neville, battle-scared and weary, perches atop a fallen statue in the chill morning air. Reaching into his pocket, he removes his WAND, holds it to the light... and watches the TIP drop like the head of a drowsy child. BROKEN. He tosses it away.

Neville kicks through the rubble. One could reconstruct the history of Hogwarts from the detritus before him: spell books, trophies, potion boxes. But Neville's expression remains stoic, unsentimental. He's seen too much in the last 12 hours.