25~ Friends and Foes

Start from the beginning

"It might turn around."

4:55. She still wasn't here. She hadn't responded, either. Was she seriously waiting until exactly 5:00 to get here?

The game went on. More popcorn flew. More yells erupted.

4:56. 4:57. 4:58.

Movement outside the window caught my eye. I stood, carrying my popcorn with me, and peeked through the curtain. Diana rounded a white sedan from the passenger seat. Tony got out of the driver's.

"She's here," I announced.

"Oh, joy," Tommy sarcastically remarked.

"I'm actually kind of curious. I mean, I've seen the pictures, but... in person should be kind of different." Sam got up and wiped popcorn off his pants.

"Yeah, me too. Is she nice, at least?" Eddie asked.

Jack shrugged, his eyes never leaving the TV screen. "Yeah, I guess."

"That's my cue to leave." Rick stood.

Lucas reached out, stopping him by the shoulder. "No, come on, Thatcher. Give the ghost girl some slack."

"Get off me, Flynn." He brushed his hand off.

"Come on, it'll be interesting. You'll have to talk to her if you keep coming over here." Lucas stood in his way.

"No, I don't."

"Guys, shut up. I'm trying to watch the game. The game you guys came over to watch." Jack frowned at them.

"Lucas, let him go," Kyle sighed.

"I just want to see what happens. We're delaying the inevitable." Lucas's lips curved into that irritating smile again. That smile I always wanted to punch but never got to.

"Get out of my way." Rick's eyes burned and his fists clenched.

"Don't be fighting when she comes in-" Hector was interrupted by the door.

All eyes turned to Diana.

~~~

Diana

"I'll definitely look up the series. It was good."

"I'm glad you liked it. You're telling the truth, right? You honestly liked the movie?"

"Yeah!"

We turned onto the Fields' street. Their robin's egg blue house rushed up toward us. There were a couple cars in the driveway I didn't recognize.

"Want me to walk you up?" Tony asked.

"Sure."

He parked in front of the house. I got out of the passenger seat and rounded the car. We walked up to the porch together.

This was honestly the best day I'd ever had. Tony's friends were wonderful. They were all so nice to me, and they even treated me to some ice cream. Even though they were a little put off at first, they seemed to grow more comfortable with me once we started talking.

And Tony was so funny and charismatic. There was just... something about him that I really liked. I didn't know what. He made me feel comfortable and happy.

"Thanks again for inviting me. I had a great time," I said.

"Hey, it's no problem. You can hang out with us anytime. They're all really cool people."

"They are! And funny." We stopped at the front door. I could hear the boys shouting inside; probably watching the game.

"Sounds like a party," Tony chuckled.