22| Nendou's Job and the School Marathon

Start from the beginning

Aren and Kaidou wiped their faces in unison, moved by his story.

"I-I'm not crying! There's dust in my eyes!" Kaidou squeaked, blowing his nose.

"Sniff, if you want another job, the diner by the train station is hiring. We can all go apply together!" Out of consideration, Aren offered that they apply together and give their earnings to Nendou, and the latter agreed without a second thought.

-

(Y/N) walked out of the convenience store and noticed Kaidou waving at her from a small park. Sipping on the straw coming from the carton box in her hand, she caught up and followed them once more.

They walked nearer and nearer to the train station, and only then did (Y/N) say, "Wait...where are we going? I kind of...forgot to ask earlier..."

Her words trailed off as she mentally facepalmed at her carelessness.

Aren looked down at her and smiled as he repeated their plans from earlier.

"We're going to apply at the diner by the station, so Nendou can earn some money for his mom's present."

(Y/N) nodded in understanding, before freezing in place.

"Wait, you don't mean-"

"We're here!"

Kaidou interrupted her mid-sentence and she stared in horror at the restaurant before them.

"Dadd'ys Diner!" Aren exclaimed, holding the door open.

Yes, Daddy, with an apostrophe in between the third 'd' and 'y'.

She stared, frozen in place, a million thoughts running through her head.

'Outofallplaces,youhadtochoosethisrestaurant?!Whywouldyouwanttoworkataplacewithanamethatgiveseveryonethewrongidea,whatifateacherfoundoutyou'reworkinghere?!Wouldtheyreportittotheschoolandyou'dbeshamedforworkingattisplace,no,itcan'tbethatbad,right?!Ohmygodpleasedon'tmakemegointhere, IthinkI'dlosemynon-existentdignitynoonecaresabout!Butit'sfor Nendou'smom,right? Itshouldbeokaytoenteritifit'sforagoodcau-'

"(Y/N)?"

Kaidou waved his hand in front of her face, snapping her from her trance.

She gulped and took an awkward step forward, entering the diner and muttering incoherent words.

They all entered after her and three boys headed for the front desk, simultaneously asking for application forms.

"(Y/N)?"

As they filled out the forms, Kaidou waved a paper in the air  and called for the girl once more.

"Ha?" (Y/N) paused and turned, wondering what his question would be.

"Are you going to apply he-" He paused as he noticed Saiki's unusually excited face.

Saiki's face beamed as he thought,'Yes, I can watch an average person work from up close!'

Kaidou stared at the pink-haired boy then turned back towards (Y/N).

"Anyways, are you going to apply-"

"No!"

The blue-haired boy was interrupted yet again as (Y/N) furiously shook her head and made an 'X' with her arms.

Saiki's face returned to normal, slight disappointment in his eyes.

Meanwhile, Kaidou took a step back in fear of his friend's sudden outburst, surprised that she would be so riled up about this.

"O-Okay then..." he returned to the front desk, joining Aren and Nendou for the interview.

-

(Y/N) hung her head in shame as she and Saiki sat at a table, waiting to see whether their friends would get hired or not.