XXI. Love Trial (Part 1)

A/N: Thank you for patiently waiting! =) An extra long chapter, to make up for the long break between updates (because, you know, real life).

I lean towards the SM of the drama version; intelligent and cunning, but with more compassion that his book counterpart, who truly was deserving of his title as the god of the thousand faces. However, I enjoy SM's observations in the book, particularly his insights on DH and his relationship with FJ. So I guess the SM here is a combination of the two? =D

Hope you enjoy, and find pleasure in reading this humble contribution to our beloved fandom (at least until the official PB bonus story in Lotus Steps is released, YAYYY!)

Disclaimer: SM's picture not mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days following the mortal trial of the immortals involved in the West Sea incident, Su Moye made an appearance at Taichen Palace to report to Donghua Dijun and present a gift to his friend, Her Majesty Fengjiu Dihou.

After half-an-hour of nerve-wracking interrogation session with His Majesty, the Second Prince of the West Sea was led by Zhonglin to the gardens, where they found an eight-month pregnant Fengjiu on her knees, hands buried in the dirt.

"Dihou!" Zhonglin nearly tripped over himself as he rushed over to help her up. "What happened? Did you fall over? Are you hurt anywhere?"

Su Moye paled upon hearing the words "Dihou", "fall," and "hurt" in the same breath and hastened over as well. "Here, let us help you up, Your Majesty. Zhonglin, hurry and inform Dijun at once..."

Fengjiu took a look at their anxious faces and laughed. "Relax, you two. I was just planting some seeds here, nothing extrenous." Indeed, on closer inspection, there was a freshly dug hole on the ground, covered with soil. "Kindly help me up, though. I think my feet are numbed."

Su Moye assisted her with a very polite hand on her elbow, and led her to a nearby pavilion where Zhonglin had already set up a cushion and a wash basin. As Fengjiu washed her hands with Zhonglin's help, chattering about the plant, Su Moye took it upon himself to prepare tea.

"It's called Frosty Grass, and its roots are a great antidepressant, its petals first grade seasoning*. I planted one here before but dug the sapling out afterwards and lost it somewhere between Jiuchongtian and Fanyin Valley. I mentioned it to Dijun one time, and what do you know, this morning he gave me a few seeds, saying it was a gift from the Buddha himself. And here I thought the one I planted before was the last of its kind! So, Zhonglin, help me take care of it this time, okay?"

By the time the water was boiling, Fengjiu's hands were clean and Zhonglin had retreated back to the palace with the basin, with a promise to return with some nuts and fruit for them to snack on.

"You look well, Mo Shao," Fengjiu observed, as he poured tea for them both. "I reckon your business in the mortal realm went without problems?"

He gave a small smile and thought, how could it not, with Dijun observing the rise and fall of the mortal kingdom he had been banished to, probably while boiling his tea, through the Miaohua mirror? "I just helped in teaching some immortal brats a lesson or two in handling their private affairs. A bit complicated, but very educational." He took a cup of tea and offered it to her with a ceremonious bow. "Please, Your Majesty."