Eye for an eye: part 1

Start from the beginning

"They're alive, but the condition that they're in... It is best if you see for yourselves."

Suddenly, heavy, and fast steps could be heard down the hall which only stopped after carrying their owner into a crash with Talion's back armour. The nazgûl carefully untangled Ralla out of his cloak before finally turning to her.

"Where were you?"

Idril's voice seemed concerned on the surface but carried suspicion within for anybody who is looking to see. Ralla was obviously confused.

"What?"

"Considering your... infatuation with Redd, we thought you'd be here sooner."

Ralla unceremoniously frowned at Talion, her words dripping poison.

"I was busy."

Keeping his face as neutral as possible, the ranger turned on his heel and went after the nervous healers into the bastion's halls of healing, closely followed by the three human soldiers.

The halls of healing, thankfully, were not as crowded as usual, with only a few wounded and a couple sick laying in the beds around them. The healers took them to the far end of the halls where the rangers lay motionless. Their eyes were half open, absently staring at the chandelier above their heads. They were as pail as Talion, their eyes all glossy black with something akin to a pale light behind them. Whenever it being unnatural or just their consciousness shining through was difficult to tell.

Ralla sat next to Redd, carefully caressing his hand as Baranor and Idril checked on the rest of the rangers. Talion remained standing next to the healers, not able to bring himself to join the others. His voice was mostly neutral but carried an underlying tone of anger and hopelessness.

"What happened to them?"

The oldest healer shifted slightly.

"We do not know. Physically speaking, their perfectly fine. They have no injuries besides a few bruises. By all rights they should be up and running, but it seems as if they returned only in bodies, not in minds."

"Could the escaped gondorians have been responsible or even contracted the same... disease?"

The old healer stroked his grey beard as the orc of the group carefully came forward.

"It's doubtful, boss. They most probably just ran away without knowin' 'bout the rangers."

Talion's only response was to nod his head in approval. The serene moment was broken however, by the muffled angry shouts and cries outside, the courtyard by the sounds of it. Talion shot the stained windows an uneasy glare, trying to catch as much of what was being said as possible.

"Ralla, what did you say you were doing before getting here?"

The captain in question growled, her furious gaze grazing the nazgûl only momentarily.

"Why?"

"You were the last to come. He is asking because you have most likely seen something that could have brought them here. So, please, just answer him, will you?"

Baranor's voice seemed to get increasingly tired by the second and yet Ralla tore her angry gaze away from the distracted nazgûl and flashed the greying Haradrim a bright smile.

"I brought them here."

"What?! Why would you do that?"

Her smile halved after registering Baranor's displeasure but hardened her disposition the moment she felt Talion's eyes burning a hole through her. The young captain held her nose high, huffing with annoyance.