tried to act cool, ended up leaning on wet paint instead⁷

Start from the beginning

The mochi tastes sweet, but the rice ball tastes even sweeter. The little girl did a surprisingly good job of making it sweet.

"Uh, miss...?"

Do you know what would make it even better? Rice porridge. Rice everything. Rice triumphs all-

"Miss? Hello?"

"Huh?"

Turning your head, you spot a shorter boy with pink hair and glasses timidly standing a few feet away. His grip on the mop looks like he was about to break in half. You blink. "Yeah?"

He points to the wall you're leaning on. "The paint hasn't dried all the way, yet."

"Oh, for fu-"

- ❐ -

"Good morning! For every purchase-ah, Coby?"

The mother from before stops her greeting when you and the pink boy went through the batwing doors, the latter shyly leading the way while ever so subtly looking over his shoulder.

"Ririka-san..." Pinkie stutters, and true to his nickname, a pinkish hue crawls up to his face, "ah, do you have any clothes..?"

"Clothes?"

"It's for..miss." Pinkie points to where you stood. The mother turns to you, promptly making you turn around to show her your backside.

"Oh dear, what happened to your clothes?"

You deadpan, the icky feeling of cold wet paint still on your back, "the cost of trying to blend in."

The mother laughs, hands stifling her mouth, "Coby, this is the fifth time someone fell victim to the wall. You have to set up a sign after this."

"You didn't think to set up a sign after the second?" Your eyebrows shot up, "oh wow, you're kinda stupid."

"So blunt!" The mother and pinkie scream out simultaneously.

"A-ah, in that case...Rika!" The back door opens immediately to show a young girl. The mother waves her to stop. "Get me some spare clothes. There should be some at the back of the closet."

"Eh? Did Coby-san forget to put a sign again?"

You laughed as Pinkie sulks in the corner. The young girl went back inside to pick out some clothes that would suit you. The mother ushers you to take a sit by the counter. Pinkie walking up beside you in a zombie-like state.

You laughed bashfully, taking a seat, "I don't have any money to pay you back."

"Oh, uh, then..." The mother blinks in surprise, caught off guard by your straightforward statement.

She shakes her head, allowing a small smile on her lips. "Take it as a thank you gift for finally pulling Coby away from his chores to visit us again. Rika had been whining all week about how he's a big meanie for not showing up more often."

A thud comes from the back, and the young girl shouts in denial.

"I was not!"

- ❐ -

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened around here?" You ask after the mother sets the clothes down on the counter. "The base is all destroyed and stuff, and there was..."

You cast a look at the young girl, now sitting nearby, and quickly rephrased your words. "...a site by the base."

"Oh well... It's a long story but there was someone who terrorized this island for years now." The mother sighs as she helps you dig through the pile, removing the ones with tears on them from your hands. "Really, I'm glad someone finally kicked him off his high horse."