11: A Night of Transformation

Start from the beginning

"Did you know that you are late, Cassiopeia Black?" Draco asked as they made their way to the Great Hall.

"Seriously?" Cassiopeia wondered, as she hadn't felt like she had spent much time getting ready in their room.

"I was waiting for you for a long time in the hall. Pansy came, but you didn't. When the Yule Ball began with the opening dance of champions, I left to find you," Draco explained as they walked. "Then I heard a girl's footsteps on the stairs, and I guessed it was you."

"Yes, it was," Cassiopeia acknowledged, and together they entered the Great Hall, admiring the beautiful decorations as students danced with their dates and enjoyed the festive atmosphere.

Draco led Cassiopeia to the dance floor. Their hands intertwined, with his other hand resting on her waist and hers on his shoulder. They began to move in harmony with the music, their eyes locked on each other as if they were made to dance together.

"You are looking good today, Malfoy," Cassiopeia blurted out, breaking the awkward silence.

"I'm always looking good, unlike you," he teased, earning a raised eyebrow from her.

"Does that mean I don't look good on other days?"

"If the shoe fits, wear it, Cinderella," he quipped, causing her to roll her eyes.

As the music transitioned into a faster tempo, Cassiopeia left the dance floor and stood beside Harry and Ron, who appeared somewhat disappointed as they observed the dancing couples. She snapped her fingers in front of their faces to get their attention.

"Where are your dates, gentlemen?" she asked.

They responded with heavy sighs. "They left us to dance with someone else," Ron grumbled. Harry remained silent, about to say something when an unexpected presence disrupted the moment.

"What are you doing with my date, Potter, Weasley?" Draco's voice rang out, his arm snaking around Cassiopeia's waist.

Cassiopeia was taken aback. "What the hell?" she muttered, giving him a displeased look. She had expected Draco to be a bit more considerate on a night like this.

"Come on, Cassie, I want to show you something," Draco said, leading her out of the hall, leaving Harry and Ron with apologetic smiles.

They wandered through several corners of the castle until they found an empty corridor dimly lit, the distant sound of slow music echoing from the hall.

Cassiopeia was confused about what Draco had in mind as they stood facing each other in the empty corridor. Her brows furrowed as his face remained expressionless.

"A distraction," he whispered before capturing her lips in a passionate kiss.

His arms wrapped around her waist, and she tugged on his robe for support. She hesitantly reciprocated the kiss, closing her eyes, and allowed herself to be enveloped by the warmth of the moment. Draco's hand traced the exposed skin of her collarbone, sending shivers down her spine.

But then, an image of another face flashed in Cassiopeia's mind. The smile, the touch, the kiss – all of it belonged to someone else. Tears welled up in her eyes as the memories of Tom Riddle consumed her. She abruptly pulled away from Draco, tears streaming down her face.

"I can't do this," her voice quivered. "I can't forget him, Draco."

"Cassie—"

"No, please. I don't want to do something I don't feel. You have no idea how much my mind and heart were opened to him, even though he doesn't exist. I love him, Draco, I really do. I need him, his touch. Not anyone else, only Tom Riddle."

Her strained voice turned to sobs, and she dropped her head onto Draco's chest, crying uncontrollably. Draco looked at her, shocked and at a loss for words. He had never realized the depth of her connection to Tom.

Suddenly, the sound of approaching voices interrupted the moment. Both Cassiopeia and Draco turned to see two unexpected visitors.

"Bloody hell," both of them exclaimed in shock. It wasn't just one person but two, Harry and Ron.

"You said, Tom Riddle?"

"What's the thing you have with him? Is that why you asked me about—"

"Haven't your mum taught you manners, Potter? And you, blood traitor," Draco fumed, cutting off Harry's question, his anger flaring.

Cassiopeia wiped her tears away, and Draco shielded her, not allowing her a clear view of the two Gryffindors. She clutched Draco's hand tightly in an attempt to calm him, but his anger continued to simmer.

"Of course, you have no mother to teach you, isn't it, Potter?" Draco sneered.

"Neither does your date," Ron retorted, defending his best friend.

"At least she has my mother to teach her," Draco seethed through gritted teeth, his hands clenched in frustration.

Cassiopeia couldn't bear the escalating argument and stepped in front of Draco. She was not one to hide behind. She looked at the three people arguing, their tempers flaring like drama queens, one last time, and then she turned and ran along the corridors, her heart heavy, almost crying as she searched for some peace.

Draco faintly called her name, but she paid no heed. All she wanted was to escape from the misery, to flee from the dreams that had kept her in denial.

She was tired. So very tired.