THE SOUNDS OF CHRISTMAS

There's still place on the bench right next to Buck. Eddie exhales in relief when he notices. Buck's talking to Karen and Chimney but his eyes move through the room when he isn't talking. Eddie doesn't think they're searching for something in particular but still, they lock onto Eddie's as soon as they find them. Buck's face breaks into a wide smile and he waves Eddie over to sit next to him. As if Eddie would choose to sit anywhere else.

He slides into the free seat and gets their group's attention as soon as they realize that Buck's focus has shifted away from their conversation.

Chimney exclaims: "The lost son has returned!" the table erupting in laughter. It's too much attention for the way Eddie is feeling today but Buck is still smiling at him, making it a lot more bearable.

"You came just in time. Athena and Hen are taking the stage to sing."

Eddie lets his eyes wander across the room, taking note of the karaoke set up on the stage where, as Chimney said, Athena and Hen are picking up the microphones and getting ready to sing.

The music starts to come out of the speakers and it only takes Eddie a few seconds to recognize it.

"Is that 'Feliz Navidad' ?"

Buck laughs, letting his head fall onto Eddie's shoulder. "Just wait what the others have chosen," he murmurs in Eddie's ear, careful that no one else hears it.

"So bad?" Eddie can't help the smile that spreads over his lips. He finds that Athena's and Hen's singing voices might actually be good if they weren't spending most of the time trying not to laugh. It's lifting Eddie's mood considerably seeing the two of them goofing off on stage.

"Not bad, just... you'll see what I mean." Buck nudges him with his leg. "You wanna order something in the meantime?"

Eddie looks over to where Chris is sitting with the other kids and takes note of the full glass already in front of him.

It seems nothing escapes Buck's notice because he's following Eddie's line of sight and sighs, nudging him again. "Relax, they know not to serve the kids any alcohol." He smiles. "Besides, he's a responsible boy, he'll probably only order soda the whole evening."

"That's what I'm worried about."

Buck laughs again. "We'll make him sing a few songs at the karaoke machine and once you leave you won't even notice his sugar high anymore."

Eddie pretends to weigh the pros and cons of it but figures he can allow Chris an evening of way too sugary beverages.

Buck reaches for the menu and sets it down in front of him. While Eddie is sifting through the options, the last few notes play and Athena and Hen are leaving the stage. They are greeted by cheers and whoops from their group, accompanied by a few laughs, most of all Hen herself. There's the sound of rustling of coats and scarves and bags all around and Eddie thinks it's too much to be just from the two of them sitting back down. Looking up, he manages to catch Maddie grabbing Chimney's hand on their way to the other end of the bar.

"Another one of ours?" Eddie directs towards Buck who only chuckles.

Eddie contemplates if Buck is already tipsy or if he's just happy today. He hopes it's the latter and not all of it is due to selfish reasons like liking the sound of his laugh.

Eddie doesn't expect anything but a pretty good performance of the two of them after what he's heard from Buck's retellings but still, the performance blows him away. Their love and coordination translate directly to how their voices work together and harmonize. It's obvious that they have some practice.

The song on the other hand...

"It's very cliché," Eddie admits just as Chimney's belting "but this year I'll give it to someone special".

"Isn't it a breakup song though?"

Karen snorts.

"Don't say that so loud," Buck says, barely containing his grin, "and don't tell them."

Eddie motions zipping his lips.

"I thought it was about finding new love after a breakup," Karen chimes in, "and that's rather fitting, isn't it?"

Buck points a finger at Karen like she's made a good point. Which she has, Eddie must admit. It does seem rather fitting when you look at it that way.