54: Googly Eyes

The semester was coming to an end which meant that final exams were also just around the corner. Jia Li exhaled a deep sigh once her last class had ended and everyone began shuffling in their seats, either to get out of school or to review their lessons. She groaned lowly and slumped her head on her arms that were folded on the table, internally screaming to make the mathematical problems exit her head. Her eyes were drooping, and she was yearning the comfort of her bed. But unfortunately, she still had a few science group projects to attend to. So here she was, patiently waiting for her groupmates to gather around.

Jia Le's class had ended earlier than her today, but he insisted that he'd wait for her since they didn't have any trainings anymore as Zhi Ming and Coach Qi Na decided that it'd be best to let their bodies take a rest before the final games in the next two days.

She sat up straight when her groupmates had found seat for themselves and together, they began wrapping up their science projects for its submission next week. Her fingers absentmindedly danced along the cardboard, creatively sticking the visuals and information that their group had researched. She was given that task, considering that she'd rather contribute through designing and researching than reporting in front of the whole class where she might highly faint out of nervousness.

By the time they had finished up the entire project, her hands were coated with inks from the color pastels. Jia Li waited until her groupmates left the classroom before she packed up her stuff and left as well.

The hallways were eerily silent and the fluorescent classroom windows showed only darkness. It was already seven in the evening and the sun had already bidden goodbye. Night had fallen and she was sure that most of the students had already left. Jia Li slipped her way into the bathroom to wash away the ink decorating her hands. Internally, she was distracting herself by rubbing her hands repetitively with soap because her mind was dreading the eerie silence and dim lights surrounding her. When she had finished, she immediately texted Jia Le, who waited outside of the bathroom, much to her relief because he knew how much she hated the dark, which was why she had fairy lights decorating her bedroom.

"I'm hungry." She pouted once they began walking through the hallways. Relief coursed within her, knowing she wasn't alone.

Jia Le perked up, "We'll just eat outside later instead of cooking at home. Let's go to the tennis courts first."

"Why?" Jia Li asked, her stomach grumbling. Her eyes then noticed that her brother was wearing his tennis uniform instead of the school uniform. "And why are you wearing your tennis uniform? Isn't it supposed to be your day off from training?"

He draped an arm around her, pulling Jia Li along with him as he led her towards the direction of the tennis courts. "Your boyfriend is staying up late to practice. His face was so serious when he told me earlier, which is a very rare sight. So I decided to pass by and watch him practice."

Zhuo Zhi staying after school hours to practice alone? That's a first.

"Where's Da Chi anyway?" Jia Li shrugged as they neared the location.

"He left early because he had an appointment with the doctor." Jia Le explained, craning his neck to search for Zhuo Zhi.

Jia Li halted in her steps once they arrived at the court. She watched how Zhuo Zhi practiced receiving the balls shot by the tennis machine. However, she noticed that the speed of the machine wasn't the usual one but rather very fast. She could see how Zhuo Zhi was struggling in his practice, flailing his racket in every direction so as to catch the ball. But he kept missing it as the pace wasn't what he was used to.

Her feet absentmindedly moved forward, following her brother who was already ahead of her. She grabbed the towel that was on top of Zhuo Zhi's tennis bag, eyebrows furrowing in worry as he squatted on the ground using his racket to support him. His hair was disheveled, and he was dripping with sweat. Heavy pants were being released by him as he visibly showed exhaustion and weary.