45: Semifinals Day (Part I)

The sun's rays glared brightly on the semifinals day, matching the competition with a perfect weather for playing. Jia Li stood by the vending machine, patiently waiting for Qi Ying and Peng Xiang to change out of their uniforms into their cheerleading outfits. The team had just left earlier to register their names with the absence of Lu Xia and Da Yong, who were still probably on their way.

As Jia Li roamed her eyes around her empty surroundings, an all too familiar voice pulled her attention, but she didn't immediately snap her head towards the direction of the voice.

"Jia Li?"

Exhaling, Jia Li slowly turned to the person who called her. She came face to face with the famous tennis doubles pair of Xing Yao High School. Of course, they'd recognize her. They were Jing Wu's friends that she had caught suggesting those low ideas to him.

"It's really you!" You Shi Xing sarcastically laughed in disbelief. "I thought you seem so familiar at first glance."

Jia Li stared at them blankly, "Well, I'm glad your glasses didn't betray you. Perhaps you should change your glasses' grades higher so you could easily identify me next time at first glance."

Yue Yang snickered, "Never thought I'd see the day Jia Li talking back."

"And I never expected that you'd be cowards." Jia Li retorted. "I really thought those rookie substitutes had permanently replaced you, considering they were the ones who played your supposed matches. You, main players, reserved your strength just for this match against Yu Qing because you really know that Yu Qing is capable of defeating you this time."

You Shi Xing scoffed, "So now you're defending Yu Qing, huh? Well guess what, enjoy watching us beat your so-called Golden Partners again."

"Oh, I'd definitely enjoy it." She gave them a forced smile, knowing how torturous it was for a Xing Yao tennis player to lose. "Since you'd both be walking in shame later."

The two left, mocking her as Qi Ying and Peng Xiang arrived, their uniforms folded neatly within their arms. "Is there something wrong, Senior Jia Li?" Qi Ying asked, noticing the troublesome look that had unknowingly weaved its way onto Jia Li's face.

"Nothing's wrong." She shook her head, blinking a few times then smiled at the younger girls. "Let's go?"

The bleachers were already fully occupied with crowds of students, their respective cheering sticks, poms-poms, and banners waving in the air. The loud repeated chants from Xing Yao High School students overwhelmed Yu Qing's, making Peng Xiang huff in annoyance.

"Qi Ying, we must not lose in cheering, too!" She declared to which Qi Ying firmly agreed.

Jia Li chuckled at the two, "You two better find some seats now. I'll stay here. The angle in capturing photos is much better from this position."

"Okay, Senior! Good luck!"

Releasing a deep breath, Jia Li pulled out her camera and prepared its shutters, wearing its lace around her neck as she leaned against the rails in front of her. From her position, she could visibly see both occupied sides of the bleachers as well as both teams seated below. To her confusion, Da Yong still wasn't with the team, which made her slightly worry that he might arrive late.

Her attention — or rather everyone's attention — snapped to Xing Yao High School's Tennis Team making their grand entrance towards their respective seats. Jing Wu of course was in the lead, wearing his usual smirk and confident demeanor.

For the second doubles, Bai Yang and Zhi Ming were first. Jia Li's lips parted, surprise written on her features as she saw Hu Liang Liang enter the court. I thought he was already removed from the team when he lost?

She watched as the said player performed the 'Gale' serve, wherein the ball flew too fast before Bai Yang and Zhi Ming could move an inch. This serve then became Xing Yao's winning technique for the first set. The only time Yu Qing was able to score for the second set was when Bai Yang returned it with his 'Boomerang Snake' move. However, the second time he used it, Hu Liang Liang was able to counter it, baffling Bai Yang and the team.

Damn, Hu Liang Liang has definitely improved so much.

As the game continued on, Jia Li became utterly confused as to why Bai Yang was the only one returning the ball. What made it worse, he continuously used his 'Boomerang Snake'. Because of that, Hu Liang Liang was given the chance to use his 'Super Half Volley' to score three points straight, making Yu Qing lose five consecutive sets.

But despite Bai Yang on the verge of wearying out himself, Jia Li realized that the data-tennis player hadn't even showcased his capability in tennis yet, which meant that Bai Yang's previous actions was definitely a part of their plan.

That plan was later proven when Zhi Ming found a loophole through their opponents' tactics, chasing Xing Yao's score until they reached at 5-4. Zhi Ming and Bai Yang's strategy surprised her. Bai Yang was meant to hold the fort for Zhi Ming to gather data about their opponents on the spot — a very intelligent, yet risky plan.

When the winning point was given to Yu Qing, Zhi Ming objected to the umpire, "My data shows that my ball should surpass the baseline by 0.31 cm. It's a pity, but it's considered out. Please confirm."

Jia Li watched, in awe of Zhi Ming's honesty. That point could have been a win for Yu Qing, but he chose to be honest instead. Which was why even when they lost, Bai Yang and Zhi Ming still had their unwavering spirit, showing that they weren't disheartened at the result of their match.

Their audience also were amazed at his honesty, screaming out their cheers louder to encourage the team, silently saying that they were still proud of them no matter what.