Exile

Six years later- Helka POV

     I stood in front of the target as I held up my bow- the whole thing made out of deer antler as a black leather grip had been wrapped around the center- the string pulled back as I had an arrow notched. I lined up my sights as I stood tall and took a deep breath in. Just as I had been about to release someone came up from behind me and shoved me forwards, their hands hard against my back. The grip on my string had faltered as I loosed the arrow, hitting the tree next to it with a loud thud. I fell on my knees in the snow, bow falling out of my hands, as the cold winds bit into my skin. I looked up, my gray eyes wide, as I had seen a group of kids my age had been behind me laughing and grinning as they took off in the other direction. I felt my heart twist in pain as I got up, brushing the snow off of me. I had worn a pair of dark gray leather trousers and a red tunic, black leather boots lined with gray fur on my feet as a heavy black fur coat hugged my body, hiding the gold bracelets on my arm, a wolfs tooth necklace hanging from my necklace as a sliver valknut pendant hung in the middle as its charm. A braided leather band rested around my head as my long white had been pulled back as braids had been tightened ion either side of my skull, raven feathers tied into my hair and on my bow. I was smaller then most of the kids here, a bit thinner too, and most of the time I had been picked on. Since my grandfather passed away a few years back things had gotten worse for me as the teasing got worse and sometimes physical. Despite my small and "sickly posture" I had become one of the skilled warriors of my clan, their wasn't a weapon I hadn't mastered or knew my way around. Daggers had been my favorite though axes had been my second.

    Grandfather has spent hours everyday training me since I was old enough to walk but despite being one of the best my "sickly" figure had prevented me from going out on hunts. I was known as the sickly child in our clan, I heard the rumors only this time they intensified and everyone seemed to avoid looking at me or even interacting with me at all. I was isolated within my own clan. Looking up I had seen someone familiar greet me, someone who had been with me since I was born. Anubis. Of course, I kept it from everyone else because he was not a god from my people, he was much older and from a land long before me. He and I had been extremely close, he had always been there for me whenever I needed. I found comfort in his presence as he guided me and cared for me though I also did pray to Odin and a few others. I couldn't necessarily tell anyone about Anubis I'd be skinned alive if I did.

    "Ignore them" Anubis said softly as he bent down and gently grabbed my chin, lifting my head up as he wiped away my tears "they are just jealous of you. They cannot understand how special you are or the great destiny you have ahead of you. They do not understand you"

     "But why.." I asked softly "Why do I have to be different..."

     "People see you as different and they do not like things that don't fit in with their ideals. It is not your fault"

     "Why did I have to be born different? Why couldn't I have been born normal?" I asked as I felt my lip quiver. Anubis looked at me a bit worried and a bit upset as I sad that but remained compassionate all the same.

     "Your soul is an old one, an ancient one even, and who you are is far more important than how you look. Your fate is to save the world Helka, it is up to you to decide what happens to the people here, and that is something they will never understand. You have an important destiny, one I will help guide you through until the end. You go through the bad so you can decide how humanity can continue. You can see the bad and the good. Do you chose to show compassion or do you let them own up to their mistakes" Anubis reassured as he helped stand me up. I grabbed my bow as I twisted the leather on the handle and nodded. He seemed to be convinced I was important and if a god said that then it was only true. Part of me wished that I hadnt been going through this hurt but I knew Anubis must have been right. What lessons would I learn if I hadn't gone through this pain? Would I see whats important if I lived a happy, carefree life? Pain was a teacher and it was best to experience it so that you could grow wiser. I knew one day I would have to make difficult decisions, this would help prepare me. "Do not bother trying to fit in and please people, do what makes you the happiest, they come later. You are a tough and strong, you will grow a bigger backbone down the road."