Chapter 5

Reyna's jaw hung wide open as she studied the vast cavern before her. Sunlight entered freely through the large opening in the center, shining upon stalactites, a small lake, a few patches of grass, and a couple of bushes. There was a tree in the center as well. A couple of animals loitered around, mostly birds, but also two goats. In the air, vines hung while butterflies fluttered without a care in the world. Reyna couldn't make out what was beyond the opening, but at the moment that was inconsequential compared to the ecosystem, she'd just discovered.

"I think I may have finally lost it," She muttered talking to nobody in particular. "First a dragon egg, and now this." The princess gestured to the surrounding area. She may have been slightly crazed from over three days of complete isolation, but she had definitely not lost it, not yet at least.

Reyna started walking towards the tree and not even the goats or birds paid any attention to her. Normally animals run away from humans because they lived out in the real world, where they were used to being afraid of humans, of being hunted. It was clear that these animals had never seen a human before, as they stared curiously at her, but didn't approach.

After setting the bag down, Reyna went towards the lake. Its water was perfectly clear, and she saw no fish in it. She felt that it was warm, probably from the sunlight flooding in, and after tasting a bit, found that it was indeed freshwater. The princess washed her face, cupping her hands then splashing herself. She rubbed in on her neck and up her arms. When that was done, Reyna took a few sips, trying to quench her growing thirst.

There would be no eating here, as she didn't want to kill the poor animals. She felt like that would ruin the tranquility of the cavern. Plus, to get as much food as Reyna wanted to eat, she'd have to kill a goat, leaving the other one alone, and she was no monster. Though, she had killed many animals on royal hunts and by herself. Reyna was one of the best shots in the whole kingdom, definitely the best female shot, and had learned early on how to skin, gut, clean, and cook an animal.

Reyna took her water skin and filled it with the lake's water. The clear liquid went in silently, with only a couple bubbles of protest. She went back to the dragon egg and sat down next to it while leaning against the tree. She put her hands on it, feeling the strange material. The edges were jagged, as if the egg itself had scales. In the light, the princess could make out the tiny white details crossing on the blueish-gray surface. They reminded her of a lightning storm.

The egg itself seemed to pulse with life. It radiated heat, making Reyna's hands begin to sweat. Holding it up to the light, she could make out the dragon within. It seemed to stretch its wing in greeting. After a few seconds of staring in wonder, Reyna noticed that the dragon had put its hand, claw, or whatever, against the shell, as if it was trying to touch her hand. She didn't know a bunch about dragons, especially baby dragons, so she was unsure of what this meant.

After a few more minutes of staring at the egg, Reyna's head began to hurt from all the squinting. She put it down next to her, and closed her tired eyes for a minute, and breathed deeply. The sun warmed her face, making stars form beneath her eyelids. Reyna could never fall asleep with light out, but down in the cavern, she drifted off easily.

Again, dreams came. Visions of sand dunes, mountains, and a glittering cyan sea repeated over and over. She saw the capital, on one side of the streets, stood the citizens, looking angry and holding pitchforks, they stood in messy clumps, unorganized and weak. On the other side stood rows and rows of soldiers, neat and organized, like an unbreakable wall, with weapons forged in the best blacksmiths. Between them stood a cloaked figure with a bow and sword. The figure had already taken aim at the soldiers and seemed to dare them to take a step closer.

The scene faded into the golden-brown eyes. They stared into Reyna's soul. In them was the reflection of a great keep. From what she could tell, it was big, as big as the castle, maybe bigger. Dragons swarmed it like bees. They weren't attacking, just hovering, almost circling. The image receded, as if the eyes were getting farther away, until it was completely gone. The eyes stayed, and Reyna could see a whole life reflected in them, before it stopped. The flood of images settled, and all that was left was the golden-brown eyes with eyes like fractured stone reflecting in them.