Knock, Knock

Aramina could stay no longer, it was almost 5.  She half-heartedly ambled over to the coat rack and slowly put her things back on.  Her stomach growled and she realized she had never eaten.  She opened the door and a cool rush of air flooded over her.  She shivered, it seemed that it had gotten colder, or maybe it was just her.  She buttoned her coat all the way and pulled the collar tightly around her neck.

Her mind wandered and she replayed the day and thought about all that had happened.  The moment she had seen him she had felt butterflies.  She knew she had to know him.  The moment their hands touched her heart ached. How could she have let him leave so abruptly without so much as an exchange of numbers.

The walk home seemed like it took forever but was only 20 minutes.  She removed her keys from her pocket, found the right one, and inserted it in the key hole. She turned slowly until she heard the click and then she pushed.  The door swung open and she slithered inside, still dreamy from the walk home she closed the door behind her.  She crossed her studio apartment, took her coat and earmuffs off, and sat down on the front of her bed.  She fumbled on the floor for the remote and turned the television on.  

"Okay, let's see what the reporters got paid for today," she said sarcastically out loud.

They had just broke for a commercial and Aramina decided to make some popcorn.  Outside, she heard it begin to rain.  The pitter patter of the rain on the window was drowned out by the popcorn popping, though.  

On her way back to her bed she heard the news anchor announce their late breaking story.

"Tonight we go live to 228 Maple Street where a heinous crime has been committed."

Aramina chuckled.  "Ooooh, sounds scary to me," she said out loud.  "It's October, everything is heinous this month," she mocked.  "Have you heard of pumpkin spice or maybe brats egging your house on Halloween?" "Really lady!"

"Sometime today two small boys and their mother were brutally murdered in their own home.  A massacre of the sorts never seen before.  Their father is no where to be found but police believe him to be the main suspect."

Aramina was heading for the couch, carrying her bowl of popcorn, when pictures of the father were flashed on the screen.  Shocked, she just stood there not even realizing that the popcorn bowl had fallen from her hand.  A sweat broke out and a shudder racked her body so violently she thought she might vomit.

"He may be armed and dangerous, so do not approach.  I repeat, do not approach suspect.  If you do happen to see him or anyone resembling the suspect, please call the authorities immediately.  Stay inside, lock your doors, and remain calm." 

The picture on the screen was seared into her brain.  The bile rose in her throat as a wave of nausea washed over her.  The man on the screen had to be Elric, or was it?  Just then there was a knock at the door.