Chapter 12: Shattered Window

I woke up to the sound of the security alarm going off. My alarm clock read the time as 2 am. Damn, I guess I really was tired. I got out of bed and grabbed my dagger. It wasn't much of a weapon but it was better than nothing. I headed out of my room to see what was happening.

Suddenly my mouth was covered and I was dragged into the hallway closet. I accidentally dropped my knife. I started kicking at the person as I screamed into their hand. 

"Shh! It's me. It's Colby."

"Colby! What's going on?"

"I'm not sure. I think someone broke in. Do you have any weapons in your room?"

"You made me drop my dagger sooo." 

He bent down and came back up a second later holding it. "Found it."

"Thanks." I smiled and grabbed it from him.

"K I have my gun so just stay with me."

I nodded and grabbed his hand as he walked out. Since when did he have a gun?

The sound of the alarm filled the room as we walked down the stairs.

The big kitchen window was shattered and the front door was wide open.

We ended up getting to the weapons room safely. Ella, Liliana, Brennen, and Andrew were huddled in the corner.

"Colby!" Liliana ran over to him. He dropped my hand and pulled her into a tight hug.

"Thank god you're okay," Colby muttered to her.

"Hey, you good?" Brennen asked me as he walked up to me with Andrew. 

"Yeah. Um someone broke in."

"Did you guys see anyone?" Ella questioned.

"No, but the kitchen window is broken and the front door is open," Colby informed them.

"We need to get some weapons and get the alarm off. Then we can clear the house and make sure no one is here," I instructed.

Everyone listened and walked over to take their pick of weapons.

"Alright let's get to my dad's office to turn that stupid alarm off."

We all cautiously made our way out of the basement. When we made it to the dad's office I went in alone. Colby, however, refused to stay outside and followed me in any way.

My dad was slumped over in his chair, face down on the desk.

"Shit." Colby put his hand in his hair.

I walked over to check on my dad.

"Is he-" Colby started.

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"What's taking so long? Oh, shit is he?" Brennen walked in with everyone else that was with us behind him.

"He's dead," I confirmed.

"Oh my god." Liliana covered her mouth and buried her face in Colby's chest.

"Are you okay?" Colby cautiously asked me.

"Turn the alarm off," I told Brennen.

He walked over and typed in the passcode finally. The room filled with silence as we all looked at each other in shock.

In that instant, I think we all realized things were about to change. A lot.