Chapter 11: Birthday Cake

It was just a kiss. At first. Now we are lying in my bed together naked. Colby is smiling at me as he brushes loose hair behind my ear.

"You didn't have any birthday cake," he realizes.

"I never do." I let a small laugh out as I continue to trace his tattoo.

"Let's go get one!" He got out of my bed.

"Whyyyyy,"  I groaned.

"It's your birthday V."

"Technically yesterday was. It's almost four am."

"Ok and? Were going. Get dressed." He was already almost halfway dressed.

I put a hoodie and leggings on before getting dragged out of the house by Colby. He was still dressed in his fancy club clothes.

We were quiet during the drive. I was so tired. Once we got to the store we held hands until we got to the cake aisle.

I have to admit this was weird. Having my first kiss and my... 'first time' with Colby all in one night. Now we are holding hands in a grocery store at four in the morning. 

"Let's get this one and candles." He picked out a strawberry cake. My favorite. A detail about me that I told him a long time ago. Which technically wasn't that long ago. I've only known Colby for two months but I've gotten closer to him than people I've known for years. 

"That'll work. Now let's leave." I grabbed his hand and led him to checkout. 

The worker at checkout was looking at us weirdly as we waited behind the lady ahead of us. "Can I help you?" Colby snapped at him.

The guy quickly shook his head before looking back at the cash register. He glanced at Colby's hand though. Colby had his hands rested on the edge of the counter. There was still dried blood on his knuckles. I pushed his hands down.

"We should go to the beach," Colby suggested once we got to the car.

"It's dark out though." I just wanted to go home and sleep for a year.

"The sun is gonna come out soon so we can watch the sunrise." He gave me a smile.

I gave in and we ended up at the beach right before the sunrise.

Colby sang happy birthday to me while we were sitting on the sand.

"Make a wish."

I blew out the candles. However, I didn't make a wish. There wasn't anything to wish for. I was happy for the first time in a while.

When we got back to the house we just sat in the car quietly for a few moments. "I don't even wanna go inside." The sun was shining brightly in the sky at this point. We had gotten breakfast before coming home.

"I'm exhausted." I let out a yawn. I haven't slept since yesterday when Colby woke me up at 6 in the freaking morning. 

"I don't wanna face Liliana. How am I supposed to tell her about us?"

"What?! You cant tell her Colby! You can't tell anyone."

"Why?" 

"It would mess everything up. You can't tell anyone. We cant... do what we did ever again."

"At least say it."

"Say what?"

"We fucked." He gave me an annoyed look. "Say it."

"We fucked. Okay? Happy now Cole?" It was a mistake and a one-time thing. It can't happen again." 

"A mistake?" He yelled as I got out of the car and slammed the door.

The house was quiet when I got inside. I made it up to my room and fell asleep almost immediately.