Part three

In the end, she was staying. It wasn't really a choice for Rhysand. Deep down the High Lord wanted to keep the child, the only issue being what would happen when they were working. But Cassian said it would only be for the first few years before she started real training.

Keena was in no means going to become a soldier, Cassian wouldn't allow it, but with the unrest in Hybern she needed to be able to protect herself.

The three Illyrians walked out to find Mor to share the happy news, and saw the two females in grass. Mor was lying on her back, bathing in the sunlight while Keena was picking at a small patch of flowers. Where one flower was picked three more would grow in its place until she was holding a whole bunch.

She smiled widely as she saw Cassian approaching, her eyes twinkling.

"Up." She held her arms out to Rhysand who looked slightly uncomfortable under her gaze.
"Up."

"She wants you to pick her up, Rhys," Cassian grunted.

Keena giggled, "Wys, up."

Rhysand slowly stepped closer, drawing his hands under her arms.

She dropped most of the flowers into the space between them, and tried to reach to weave the stem of the flower into Rhysand's hair. He bowed his head closer to her as she stabbed it into his hair. He held back to small yelp of pain that shot through his head but not the wince.

"Keena, no thorns," Cassian scolded. She made a sad face and twisted out of Rhysand's arms so she would be moved to his. She rest her head against his chest tiredly.
"Why do you give Azriel a flower? He's looking a little jealous of Rhys," Cassian whispered to her before setting her on the grass to find more flowers. She looked at them at displeasure, she eyes focused intently on one spot that she had picked clean. Slowly a large black rose began to grow from the ground. The stem was completely free of thorns.

She was smiling as she picked it. The flower looked more healthy picked in her hands than it had growing in the ground. She waddled towards Azriel and stretched out the flower in her chubby fingers. Instead of picking her up, he lowed himself into the grass on his knees for her. She looked between the rose and his head with an odd expression. She paused for a moment and stared at the flower, watching it grow into a crown of black roses. She laughed happily and placed it on the top of his head. He gave her a small smile back before attempting to stand. She held tight onto his tunic.

"Up," she asked more as a question. Azriel picked the girl up without hesitation, holding her body securely to his. She twisted to look at the hand that held her back. She touched the scarred skin gently before turning back to him looking sad. Azriel was ready to hand her back when she asked, "hurt?" He shook his head, "no, it doesn't hurt anymore." She nodded her head but didn't remove the sad face.

She moved her gaze to his wings, completely forgetting her sadness.

"Fly," she said.

"Not today, Kee. When you're older." Cassian stepped in.

Her hands reached for her own back.

"Wings." Cassian shook his head.

"You don't have them, Kee, but one day we'll take you flying."