Chapter 43: Leotine Moores

Start from the beginning

Elliot was already at his side in a flash, crouching next to him with wide eyes.

"Watch where you're going, you idiot!"

He carefully helped his brother off the ground and secured the other's woolen coat around his shoulders even more to keep the chills at bay.

A bird-boned hand fell on his arm for support and immediately curled around his shirt in a deceptively tight grasp.

Slowly, he met his brother's gaze and saw a playful smirk curling his lips, "Gotcha."

Elliot stiffened. "You—!"

Leotine chuckled and leaned against him happily. "It's good to know you're still so cute, my dear little brother."

The worry he felt at that moment instantly vanished into the void.

"Let go!"

Elliot tried to pull away, but Leotine held onto him like some irritating fungus.

His brother chuckled, ignoring the murderous expression he wore.

"Alright, alright. I know you're angry. How about I make it up to you with some tea?"

"Leave me alone."

"Come now, don't be like that. I want to spend some time with you."

"No."

The instant rejection made the smile on his brother's face fade somewhat, but Elliot didn't care.

He didn't.

He had more important things to do right now and Leotine didn't fit into all of that.

He only just received news from Julius about the whirlwind drama that was happening with the Odum Family.

Nazareth being poisoned at a tea party was the most ridiculous thing Elliot's ever heard, but it was the truth.

Out of all people, Nazareth got poisoned. The irony did not escape him.

Who would even have the balls big enough to do it, anyway?

His silence brought a pitying smile to Leotine's face.

"I heard about what happened," he said, his voice wavering with care, "Are you sure you wouldn't like to talk about it?"

So Leotine knew about it, too. Where was he even getting the news from?! He'd been sleeping for a week!

"No. I don't want to talk about it," Elliot muttered, not looking at him.

"Are you sure?" Leotine appeared unconvinced. Rather, his eyes softened into a wobbly thing that could make even the toughest soldier want to cry for solace.

Did he think Elliot needed his comfort?

He didn't.

He and Nazareth weren't even on speaking terms anymore since their last conversation. The bridges have been burned to ash.

"I'll always be here for you, Elliot. You know that, right?"

Leotine and his stupid pity would be the death of him.

Elliot's body went rigid at his words. He looked away, feeling undeserving and filthy. He knew his brother's kindness was a lie.

Leotine was always like this, playing the good older brother despite knowing what kind of threat Elliot was to his position.

Elliot despised pretenses. He didn't need Leotine's constant apologies. He already took his mother's affections, so did he have to perform this elaborate play to rub it in?