• 28 • futures, feminism, and futile

Start from the beginning

"What school is it?" Anne was praying it was some small school she had never heard of nearby.

"Sorbonne Universite. It's in Paris."

"Paris?" Anne's heart stopped.

She assumed she had time with Gilbert. She loved adventuring and studying and laughing with him. She loved their friendship more than anything and the possibility of losing it terrified her.

She loved him.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you yet." Gilbert said quietly, avoiding any and all eye contact with her.

Anne took his hand, "Don't apologize for wanting to follow your dreams. Medicine is your passion, there's nothing more I want for you than to go where your passions lead you."

He smiled at her softly, feeling the tingle of nervousness in his hand. They could spend as much time together as they wanted to, but Gilbert would always feel that twinge of excitement around Anne.

The both started walking again, hand-in-hand.

"I don't know if I'll be going there. It's terribly expensive and hard to get into. There's a school in Toronto doing the same work too."

"Gilbert, you traveled the world in a steamboat just because the opportunity presented itself." Anne remembered how brave she thought he was for taking on the world like that. Despite her yearning for a home, she'd always be jealous he traveled the world.

She continued, "You delivered two human babies, one of which was a breech birth."

Gilbert relived that moment constantly. It was when he realized he wanted to be a doctor and medical school was bound to be his passion.

"Best of all," Anne bumped into him purposely, "you know the Maritimes."

He chuckled and let out a sigh of relief. As much as Gilbert believed in his relationship with Anne, he was relieved she was taking his news so well. He wasn't even close to being able to go to the Sorbonne, but at least he knew Anne supported him.

"If you can do all of that, I think you can go to a school."

Anne was doing her best to be supportive, and of course she wanted him to succeed in every way possible; but she couldn't help but notice how her heart hurt. This felt like losing him, even though she wasn't.

"Thank you, Anne." Gilbert squeezed her hand, "Your support means more to me than you know."

It meant everything to him. Anne's seal of approval made him feel like he wasn't crazy and it was all possible.

Anne didn't want to look at him because she knew he'd read her face and see her heartbreak. So instead she stared at the horizon over the sea and took a deep breath.

Everything is going to be okay.

--

The town committee, however, was about to be shaken.

On that same afternoon, only 10 days away from the dance, Mr. Andrews busted in while the committee was meeting.

"A meeting is in session!" Rachel yelled at him as he completely ignored her and came in anyway.

"I'm glad it is," he towered over Rachel and looked at the rest of the men, "we need to have a word about this so-called Winter Ball."

The minister perked up, "Ah, the Winter Ball! Aren't we all so excited for this delicious treat."

The other committee members nodded grimly. They couldn't care less. The only reason they were on the council was to ensure any larger decisions were advantageous for their families. Otherwise, Avonlea was just a place to exist.

Rachel saw the other committee member's reactions and rolled her eyes. At least the minister held excitement. She had an awful feeling this was about to take a turn for the worse.

She was right.

Mr. Andrews stepped closer to them, "I think it's atrocious we are working up all this excitement just to make children dance together. My son was expelled following a dance rehearsal and has never gotten a reason to why. Clearly this is plaguing our children and giving their play teacher more power than necessary."

"I'll beg your pardon," Rachel scoffed, "Their teacher is Miss Stacy, and she is not one to abuse power. I heard your son was expelled for much different reasons."

"Rumors are not encouraged, Mrs. Lynde. Despite how much you love spreading them." Mr. Andrews snapped back.

"Now, now," the minister put up his hands, "there's no reason to quarrel."

Rachel looked at him intently, "We can't just shut the ball down! Minister, can you imagine the cry out the people will have if we pull this now?"

Mr. Andrews tapped his foot, "Mrs. Lynde, we can't compare your hysterical reaction to everyone else's. Not everyone will be as irrational."

Rachel put her hand on her heart in shock, "I beg your pardon."

She always knew the men in this committee and many in the town weren't as progressive as she would like, but this was almost ridiculous.

"Mrs. Lynde is correct." The minister assured, "I'm sorry you feel so upset about the event, but the lord works in mysterious ways. Maybe if you come you'll enjoy yourself."

Mr. Andrews flared his nostrils angrily, "Are you certain about this, minister?"

"Yes, of course. There would have to be some sort of catastrophe for us to stop it now."

There was fire in Mr. Andrews' eyes, "Right." He put on his hat and tipped it, "Good day."

"I think that's enough for today." The minister said tiredly as he stood up, put on his coat, and left quickly.

The other committee members, including Rachel still sat in silence.

"We're not about to let that dance happen if the Andrews aren't pleased." One of them complained, blowing out a puff of smoke as he spoke.

"Agreed." Another stated, "They run this town. Their dissatisfaction is ours."

"Why should it matter what one family thinks?" Rachel interjected angrily, "This is about the good of the entire town. Billy Andrews is an awful boy, this isn't Muriel Stacy's fault, that's for sure."

"Don't be so emotional." The third stated, rolling his eyes, "It doesn't matter if the boy is a tyrant. We need the Andrews' support. It may be too complicated for you to understand, Mrs. Lynde."

Rachel wasn't shocked at their disagreement, but she was astonished of their words. Her being a woman had nothing to do with any of her opinions. She was too tired and stretched to deal with their slander.

"The minister won't listen to you," She stated, standing up and snatching her coat, "I guess you'll have to deal with it."

Rachel rushed out the door before she said anything more insulting.

The men on the committee were not satisfied. They didn't intend on letting this go.

And they didn't.