Pregnant Life

Park Hei Ran's POV:

After Jimin and I returned from Hawaii, it was back to rehearsals for the guys. In just over two months, they'd be beginning the final four concerts of the Love Yourself: Speak Yourself tour with a historic concert in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Aside from rehearsals, the guys were being taught about the culture, customs, and even some of the language along with the staff. Some of the choreography was being altered to ensure it wouldn't be offensive, and costumes for the concert were being thoroughly checked to be sure they were still acceptable for Idols without being offensive. It was a lot of work. 

Two weeks before the concert in Saudi Arabia, I was called into the boss's office. I was nervous. Even though I had been keeping my pre-natal and other doctor's appointments on my own time, I wasn't feeling as well as I let everyone believe. My ob/gyn wanted me to slow myself down. I was trying to, but BTS was a well-oiled machine that never really stopped.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, bowing to my boss.

"Yes," he said. "Please sit down, Hei Ran."

That made me more nervous, but I did as I was told. 

"Would I be right to assume that you understand the importance of the concert in Saudi Arabia?" he asked me.

"Of course I do, Sir. This stadium hasn't allowed girls or women to attend any event there in decades. The fact that they'll be allowed to go because BTS is performing is absolutely amazing. It's historic," I replied.

"Then please try to understand that I'm not trying to say anything to your work ethic or ability when I say you're not going with BTS for that concert," he told me.

I was stunned. It took me a minute to process what he told me in order to reply.

"If it has nothing to do with my work ethic or performance, may I ask why you're removing me from my position for this concert?" I asked.

"Please don't take this as me punishing you, but I'm keeping you here because you're pregnant, Hei Ran," he said, but before I could say anything else, he continued. "I promise this is not a punishment. You have kept your word to me that neither your marriage nor your pregnancy would interfere in your work with BTS. I'm grateful for that. However, we're trying to be as culturally sensitive as we can going into Riyadh. Sending you there, pregnant, with your husband, is a major issue, Hei Ran."

"What do you mean?" I asked, putting my anger aside, wanting to understand if me going could really cause trouble for Jimin and the others.

"There are laws in Saudi Arabia that would essentially make your presence there, working with BTS, illegal, Hei Ran. There are laws stating that women are only allowed to work with their guardian's, which in your case would be your husband's, permission, and only if it doesn't interfere with raising your family. You are very, visibly pregnant, Hei Ran. We're trying to be culturally sensitive. If we make a few minor mistakes, I'm sure they'll let it go. If we bring a married, pregnant staff manager who is married to one of the members, we'll have broken a law as soon as you and Jimin step off the plane. I don't know they'll look the other way on that," he explained.

I took a deep breath.

"I understand, Sir," I said finally. "This concert is too important to be ruined by my presence there. I won't argue you asking me to stay in Korea. But what will I be doing, Sir?"

"Since I will be going with BTS, I'll need you to take charge of TXT while I'm gone," he started. "They'll be releasing a new mini album a few days after the Riyadh concert. Why don't you take care of them through their comebacks and I'll get BTS through the rest of the tour dates?"