The magical beings in question stayed to the north because they didn't care enough about humans to cross the sea known as the Impassable Tides. It wasn't actually impassable, though nobody had tried, it was more that people didn't want to go across or maybe they were too afraid. The Impassable Tides were made thousands of years ago by two gods, Eteus and Lubus, when a war between humans and magic waged across the whole continent.

According to legend, those who had magic worshipped Eteus, the god of the sea, and the humans worshipped Lubus, the god of the earth. Why? Nobody knew for sure. One day both gods went missing; they just vanished in thin air. The seas became raged, and the earth no longer delivered crops. Both sides blamed the other. A war began, taking many lives, but mostly human.

Apparently, the two gods had fallen in love and ran away to be together—nobody is sure why they had to run away—but once they heard of the destruction their absence caused, they came back to stop it. While some stopped fighting, many did not. The war no longer was about the gods. Many had used it to their advantage to gain land, power, and money, others wanted revenge for the lives already lost, and some just wanted the other side dead because of long-held prejudice.

If the humans died, so would Lubus, and if magic died, Eteus did as well. Both Lubus and Eteus loved their people and each other too much to watch the destruction any longer. So they came up with a plan to stop it all. They both invited their worshippers to a "war" meeting on opposite sides of the continent—humans in the south, magical beings in the north. When all were accounted for, the two gods left and met in the middle of the land. They planned to split the continent, to separate the two sides, and in doing so, separate themselves forever.

The earth rumbled and cracked in anger from Lubus, for he was being separated from his love because of human stupidity and magical beings' need for power. Once the land was separate, it was filled with Eteus' tears, for he was also being taken away from his true love.

When the two sides realized what had occurred, they were angry. They wanted the guilty punished, but there had been too many deaths on both sides to decide who was truly guilty. Such was the way of war. The gods were shunned for a long time. Eventually, the people took them back in when they realized how much they needed them. Lubus and Eteus were forever separated from each other and soon came to resent both kinds for it. But that's another story.

Anyways, the land was split in two, and Craylith, a.k.a. the human kingdom, was born. At first, there had been many lands under many different rules, but a young conqueror known as Cray managed to unite the land through forced means. He made Aleta his capital and built a beautiful kingdom. Legend says that one day the two lands will be united with a love just as strong as the two gods' love was. It sounded like a fairy tale for kids to Reyna, but she couldn't really question destiny.

The sound of approaching footsteps snapped Reyna out of her thoughts. She looked around to see an old lord and lady coming her way. "Congratulations, Princess Sybil." Both bowed and gave her wide smiles, as if they were genuinely happy for her. Reyna knew it was bullshit, but gave her own bullshit smile back, covering her confusion.

"Thank you." She replied giving no title because, as the princess, she didn't have to, and she didn't actually remember their names. The pair walked off into the throne room, still looking fake-happy. What the actual hell? Reyna really needed to find out what was going on. She tried to remember any major holidays but came up empty. For a second, she thought that it could've been her birthday. Quickly scratching that idea off of the list, Reyna just decided to go in and ask her father.

Music and laughter filled her ears. People were dancing all around her. Lights and colorful pieces of cloth were strewn all around. There were tables set up on the edges of the room, in front of the window, filled with dozens of different delicacies. Nobody paid Reyna much attention, as she had avoided the traditional announcement of the princess entering. Though when somebody recognized her, they instantly bowed and said something along the lines of "Congrats!"