LA Bear Bear

Depuis le début

 "Charlie, that's---how are you even affording this?" 

"Just barely...but it's surprisingly cheaper than getting a hotel every time I come out here. Why? Are you disappointed about the lack of a turndown service? I may not put a chocolate on your pillow, but what I lack in cacao, I promise to make up for in love and affection."  Charlie smiled through tired eyes. "Truthfully when everything was happening with the divorce, I was lucky enough to find a rent controlled place with a lot of included utilities. It was a gem-- so much that I thought it was a scam, but as luck would have it...it worked out."

You were finally next in line. Charlie's phone started ringing before he could speak with the desk clerk. "Shit. This is about the show, can you handle this please?"  He asked, gesturing to the attendant's window. 

You gave him a soft smile and stepped up to get things in order. 

"Hi, name please? asked the attendant, patiently waiting to type in your info. 
"Um, the reservation is under Barber. Charlie Barber."

The gentleman worked meticulously pulling up all of your information. "Mid-size sedan?" You glanced over to Charlie who was a few feet away on the phone. "I'm sure that's fine if that's what it says," you replied. He typed in more information. "Will you be driving the vehicle as well, Mrs. Barber?"

"What?" "Do you intend to drive as well? Your husband entered his information as the sole primary driver when he booked the reservation." 

You were taken aback. "Um, no. Just...uh, just Charlie." He nodded, clicking what you assumed were a few necessary boxes. 

"Insurance today?" "Yes, definitely." "Okay, great. I just need to see the card you made the reservation with and your husband's ID please." He selected a few more items with his mouse and sat patiently waiting for Charlie's return. 

Charlie, however was still on the phone. With a line of people behind you, you did your best to coax him over. He quickly returned, covering the phone. "What's up?"

"They need the card you booked with and ID." Charlie pulled his wallet from his pocket, removing the required cards, and handing them to you. "She can sign on my behalf,"  he said with a smile before walking away again. 

You turned to the attendant. "Sorry about that." You were grateful he seemed fairly easy going. You passed him the cards through the small slot in his window and he looked them over before taking a quick scan of Charlie's ID and sending them back through with some paperwork. 

"If you could just sign next to where I've highlighted, I can get you your keys and you'll be good to go."

You looked down at Charlie's ID and could feel yourself beaming. You'd never seen his license before. Much to your surprise, it was rather photogenic, a kindness that passed you over on your own visit to the DMV. You took note of his signature and put pen to paper. Pleased with your work, you passed it back through. The attendant's keyboard clacked one last time before he selected a set of keys and passed them through the window with your paperwork and receipt. "Third row, six down. If you have trouble finding it, feel free to come back or click your heels together. Welcome to LA."

You took the keys and thanked him before rolling your own luggage over to Charlie, who was leaned up against a concrete pillar. 

He took your face in his hands, planting a firm, but passionate kiss on your lips. "All of that for getting the keys?"  You asked, completely smitten as you handed his cards back to him. 

He put his cards back in his wallet before a grin slowly appeared on his countenance. "We found our replacement," he offered softly,