Stolen - Part Two

Operation Steal The Cards, commencing.

The militants wasted no time in holding the succession ceremony, announcing the change of leader to the Beach in the lobby. Both Kurenai and Chishiya were watching from the third floor, while the other three were in their respective positions for the operation.

As she listened to Niragi speak, Kurenai rolled her eyes.

"We'll be out of here soon. You won't have to hear his voice ever again," Chishiya smiled, pulling her a little closer.

"You better not lie, Shuntarou," Kurenai whispered, kissing his neck before looking back to the ceremony.

It was not so much what Niragi was saying that bothered her, it was the way he said it. She knew plenty of people like him back in the real world, the ones who held no power but had the backing of a very powerful person. They always spoke and acted like there were no consequences, though karma always came back and bit them hard. Karma was a bitch like that.

Speaking into the walkie-talkie, Chishiya was letting Arisu know that it was safe to enter the royal suite and start searching. Although she was not the one doing the work, Kurenai could not help but feel butterflies in her stomach. They were finally getting out of this hellhole.

Looking down at Kurenai, Chishiya put a hand on her head.

This plan of his had to work. No matter what happened, and who he had to sacrifice, Chishiya's original plan was to make sure that he got out of there with all the cards and alive. He got a little greedy since. Now, he wanted to get Kurenai out too.

"I'll let you guys know if there are any changes. I'm counting on you, Arisu."

Chishiya found himself holding onto Kurenai's hand. He was composed, confident in his plan. There was no way they would fail. Yet, he found comfort in just holding her hand. What was becoming of him?

All these years, he found no meaning in living. Everyone else around him seemed to have a purpose but Chishiya could not find one for himself. That was how he lived in Borderland too. He wanted to get out of this hell, but only because he was more familiar with the real world.

Then this woman came into his life like a meteorite.

He would not go as far to say that he finally found a purpose in life, but she certainly brought some meaning to it for him. Life was a little boring and a little more worth living because of her.

"I found the safe. What's the passcode?"

Arisu's voice brought Chishiya back to reality.

"It's 8022."

"Did you see the contents of the letter?"

"No, but Aguni's expression told me everything."

Thinking back to earlier when Aguni was opening the black envelope, Kurenai remembered his confused expression. Knowing Hatter, he probably did not write the actual passcode down, that would still have been too risky. The contents of the letter was most likely empty, but it was the seal on the envelope that mattered.

The seal with the word 'BOSS'.

And that was exactly what Chishiya explained to Arisu.

"I wouldn't want to be your enemy."

Though, what Arisu did not know was the fact that Chishiya was walking as he spoke. Even Kurenai was confused but she followed after him. He kept talking, making his way down to the balcony where the militants were making their speech. And in that moment, Kurenai realised Chishiya's true plan.

He lied.

He lied to all of them.

He lied to her.

Walking straight up to Aguni, Chishiya ignored Niragi as he whispered something to the new leader. Aguni frowned a little, taking the militants with him and left for the royal suite. Chishiya was following behind and he reached for Kurenai's hand though she avoided him.

She even avoided eye contact with him the entire time they were making their way up to the royal suite.

Kurenai knew that no one beside herself was to be trusted in Borderland. Heck, no one was to be trusted ever, period. That was how she always lived her life and while she was attracted to Chishiya, she constantly reminded herself that she could never put her trust in him.

Still, it did not sting any less to know that he lied straight to their faces.

It reminded her of her father, how he would lie through his teeth. How he told the media his wife died of an illness, and how he was so heartbroken to lose her. How he made Kurenai stand in front of all the cameras with a smile, telling her to lie how grateful she was to have him as a father despite losing her mother. How he told her that if she kept the truth of her mother's death a secret, he would love her more.

All lies.

Capturing Usagi in front of the royal suite, the militants made their way inside to find Arisu in front of a safe. He had a look of horror on his face, knowing that he was caught and was basically dead meat. Then a look of betrayal when he saw Chishiya and Kurenai walking in with the militants.

"Thank you, Chishiya. We caught them thanks to you."

Unable to stand being in the same room, Kurenai left, tuning out the sound of Niragi beating Arisu to a pulp, and the sound of Usagi screaming for Arisu.

She made her way back to her room and put the security lock on. She doubted that Chishiya would come looking for her, though at this point, Kurenai did not want to see anyone else. She leaned on the door and slid down onto the floor, curling her knees up to her chest and buried her face in her knees.

Taking in a deep breath, she was trying not to cry.

Never again would she let her father hurt her, that was what she promised herself. Never again would she let him dictate her life.

Somehow, she managed to get herself involved with someone like her father.

You're on your own now, Kurenai...I'm sorry.

Those were her mother's last words to her.

And how right she was.

No, actually, she was only partially right because Kurenai had always been on her own.

Since the day she could remember, she was on her own. She ate alone, slept alone, went to school alone, and played alone. Her mother was there, though it was just an empty shell by that point. Then when her mother passed away, she was more alone than ever.

Grew up alone, lived alone, and came to Borderland alone.

There was a knock on her door, but Kurenai did not answer. She did not move either, so whoever it was could not try to open the door.

"Kurenai, it's me."

Kuina's voice came from the other side but she still did not answer.

She was on her own now.