Beach Arrival - Part Three

All it took was one woman crying to halt the partying at the Beach.

Not because it was a rare occurrence. Not because she was pretty. The partying halted because this woman got involved with one of the militants and somehow managed to get the Hatter, the number one here at the Beach, to protect her.

"I'm so sorry for causing trouble. I'm really not that kind of girl. I know we're allowed to do as we please here at the Beach, but I'm not into that. I just want to focus on the games and gather the cards so that we may all go home. I am so sorry."

"You fucking bitch!"

"Are you really going to attack her when I am standing right here?" Hatter asked, staring Niragi down.

He always knew Niragi was not one to listen to him. If anything, it was the fact that they were out here in public with everyone watching that kept Niragi from attacking both of them right now. If they were alone somewhere secluded, there was no doubt Niragi would kill them in a heartbeat.

As Kurenai continued sobbing, Hatter threw her a glance. Was it a mistake letting her in? It had been barely an hour since she was appointed number nine, and here she was, causing a commotion with Niragi.

"What is going on here?"

Kurenai looked up to see a big man joining the conversation. He was at the meeting before, when they were deciding on her fate, but he did not talk. He simply...looked intimidating. She glanced down to his wrist, seeing a number two on his key.

"Control your man, Agni," Hatter said. "While anything goes here at the Beach, Miss Chuya here is now an executive whether you like it or not. I'd be grateful if she wasn't hurt."

All eyes were on Agni now. As the number two and the leader of the Beach's militants, he was a man whose path should never be crossed. The relationship between him and Hatter was quite fragile, another small crack and the Beach would be falling apart with them right in the centre. Would Kurenai be that cause?

"Fine."

Although he did not look willing to, Agni gave in and complied. He turned to leave, grabbing Niragi by the collar and dragged him away.

"Alright, nothing to see here! Party on, people!" Hatter called out, waving his hands to dismiss those who gathered to watch. He gave Kurenai one last look, giving her a pat on the shoulder before walking away.

Watching Hatter's back, Kurenai wiped her tears away with a triumphant smile. She was not happy that she basically joined a cult and had her cards taken away, but the Beach was starting to look like an intriguing place. Perhaps this was more fun than the Borderland games themselves.

Someone started slow clapping behind her, and Kurenai turned to see the one face she had been looking forward to seeing since last night.

When he heard that there was a newcomer at the Beach, Chishiya honestly hoped that it would be Kurenai. He dropped a hint for her last night when they parted, though he was not sure if she caught on. Then this morning, he was informed that not only was there a new member but they were made executive. He knew instantly, he knew it would be her.

"Nearly didn't recognise you there without your red dress."

"I guess a red bikini would have to do," Kurenai smiled, swaying from side to side as if to model for him. "It's nice to see you again, handsome."

"It's nice to see you found this place. Was not sure if you understood my hint."

"You weren't exactly subtle. Besides, I'd do anything to see you again. You're my type after all."

Walking up to Chishiya, Kurenai poked a finger on his chest, tracing it down his abdomen just like she did before. He caught her hand before she could go any further, and she looked up into his eyes, a cheeky grin spreading on her face as she inched closer.

"My God...get a room, won't you? We're literally at a hotel. There are plenty to choose from."

They were interrupted by a voice from behind Chishiya. Kurenai tilted her head to the side to see behind him, leaning on Chishiya comfortably with her chin resting on his shoulder.

"Who's this?" she asked. "Are you cheating on me already?"

Chishiya simply took a step to the side, pulling himself away from Kurenai. "I'm Kuina Hikari," the girl said, holding her hand out. Kurenai looked down at her hand, seemingly hesitating for a moment before shaking hands with her. "You're the new executive, huh?"

"That's me," Kurenai smiled, showing off the key on her wrist.

"And your name?"

"Hm, I'll tell you later in private. We kind of have this sexy thing where I don't tell him my name."

"It's Chuya Kurenai," Chishiya answered for her.

Letting out a soft gasp, Kurenai feigned shock and betrayal. "How naughty. What else am I going to make you work for?"

"Legit? Chuya as in Chuya Group?"

"Not like that matters here," Kurenai stated. "Anyway, nice meeting you. And you, handsome, I'll definitely be seeing you around."

With a little wiggle of her fingers, Kurenai disappeared into the crowd.

He noticed that the moment her family name was mentioned, Kurenai's demeanour changed. Not so much, however, that it was glaringly obvious. It was just a slight change in her tone of voice.

"Do you really think she would jump on our plan?" Kuina asked.

No response.

She frowned a little, stepping forward to take a better look at Chishiya. Kurenai was long gone, but he was still looking in the direction she went. This was the first time, since she met Chishiya in this God forsaken place, seeing him distracted.

Only when Kuina was practically waving her hand in front of his face did Chishiya finally snap out of it.

"Yes?" Chishiya asked.

"I know she's pretty and all but please focus. You can fuck her all you want when we're out of here."

"I'm sure she'd join us. She's not the type to run errands for others, not for people like Hatter or Agni. And please, I was thinking about something else. I'm not interested in her like that."

"Tell that to your boner," Kuina pointed, rolling her eyes, walking off without looking back.

Every human had basic needs, Chishiya was no exception. Though he had always been in control of himself and his sole focus for a while now, was surviving and escaping Borderland. Yet, now he was getting distracted by a woman when he never cared about any lives in general?

--

After parting ways with Chishiya and Kuina, Kurenai swiped a bottle of rum from the bar and found herself a quiet place on a balcony far away from the partying and everyone else. She drank straight from the bottle and let out a soft sigh.

They only mentioned her name and it was enough to send her spiralling. When would she finally be able to cut the strings her father tied so firmly around her?

And goddamn, her cheek really stung from Niragi's slap.

---

A/N: Shamelessly adding my own art because Christmas was cancelled and I spent all day drawing Chishiya and Kurenai...