CHAPTER 5- Electricity

Magsimula sa umpisa

---

After finishing my third pizza, I excused myself from Drake's cheating arms.

"I'm just gonna call Jaz, see if she's okay. She's not going to work this week because of some emergency." I explained to him. He just nodded as his eyes were still glued on the t.v. I shake my head and rolled my eyes in disappointment as I walked towards the phone in the kitchen.

I dialed Jaz's phone number, hoping that she's home. It rang several times before someone picked up.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Mia? Hi! I'm sorry I can't go to work this week something came up." Jaz explained. I can sense that she's exhausted. She ain't energetic unlike before.

"It's alright Jaz, I heard from Ace." I paused because my next question might be touchy. "Is your father okay?" I finally said. She didn't reply immediately and I understand that she needed time to answer. I waited patiently and she began to speak again.

"He's alright, Mia. It's just that..." Jaz paused.

"It's okay if you're not comfortable telling me Jaz"

"Well, he fell yesterday. We thought that he just fainted. Turns out he had a mild stroke. My mother, Lucile, and I were in the hospital all day yesterday that is why I wasn't able to go to your apartment at dinner" I didn't know what to reply. I didn't say anything as I waited for her to continue.

"But he's okay now, he's still at the hospital and my mom is also still there. I was just picking up some clothes and other things for her that's why I came home. You caught me in a good time" She chuckled lightly, letting out an exhausted sigh.

"I'm sorry that happened to your father Jaz. I'll make sure to visit at the hospital before I fly out to Seattle." I said.

"Seattle? You're going home? I thought you have an incoming project this week?" she curiously asked.

"I promised my mom yesterday to go home before I take on another project. I miss her terribly and I haven't seen her for the last six months. I know I'm a terrible daughter." I joked and we both laughed to lighten the conversation.

"So you do have another project?" She asked. I got immediately giddy but I tried to refrain myself from bouncing since Drake can still see me through the kitchen.

"Yes, and that's one of the good news." I finally said. "Remember the favor I want to ask Ace? Well, he accepted. But he's given me more than I was expecting" I added.

"What is it?" She excitedly said.

"Well, he said that if I take this project, he'll accept my proposition. But the thing is this account is big. More than the Jones'. Crazy big that it involves a freaking lawyer and a confidentiality agreement" I whispered to the phone, trying not to raise my excited voice.

"A lawyer?! This account must be special to have those"

"I mean how can I not take this project. You know, first hand, that I really wanted a change. I couldn't pass up this opportunity."

"I'm so happy for you Mia. Now, what's the second news" she said in a stern voice. I looked over to Drake as he was still watching, munching over the last pizza. When I saw that he was too preoccupied, I turned my back again and held the phone much closer to my mouth.

"I'm going to break up with Drake tonight." I heard her gasped in excitement.

"Thank the heavens I thought you're still gonna stick up on his ass. I can't believe this, I'm proud of you for finally standing up for yourself" She commented.