~Thank you for not giving up~

Start from the beginning

Sad that MSD had taken retirement after his test debut match. Most of the team was in MS's room looking like hell had walked over them. The loss of MS-the test Captain felt so much more personal to them then it felt to Rahul. For he didn't know MS personally then.

MS was the captain cool. India's most legendary Captain. He was MSD-the legend for Rahul back then not his Mahi bhai. His Mahi bhai after whose retirement Rahul had cried buckets in his room and then some more on call with his brothers. But back then it was MS and Rahul was really disappointed to have played only one match under the legendary MS and gloomy over his retirement.

But he had bigger problems to deal with, problems like whether he'll get another chance to play or not?

The environment of MS's room suffocating him. He couldn't stay there with worries eating him inside out. So, he had excused himself and went back to his room. So, so, so disappointed with himself.

~~~~~~~~~

Alone in his room. He couldn't help but remember a heated conversation he had once upon a time. The conversation that seemed ages old suddenly felt very alive in his mind.

"Cricket!!! Cricket!!! Cricket! Get out of your la la land Rahul. It's easy to dream but hard to sustain in this cut throat world. What do you think you're the only small town guy dreaming to make in in the blues like MSD? No, you're not, sorry to break it to you every single guy out there is dreaming to achieve the same and it doesn't matter how talented you are or what not? And even if you make it in there. Do you think you can survive there? Make your mark? I know many players who made there and then disappeared. They're phantoms of the ICT now, no one, even talks about them. Do you think you'll survive there? So, better concentrate on your studies,"

"I'll Survive!!!! I won't disappear!!" He had said absolutely firmly back then burning in the fire of his dreams but now, after his disastrous debut match, in his mind he was kinda certain his debut was the worst in the history of cricket and yes, he'll turn a blind eye to any fact disagreeing with his conviction.

Alone, gloomy and tormenting himself over his place and future. Rahul was sitting on the floor leaning against the bed pondering things. Now, he doesn't clearly remember whether the door was open or not? Had he let Virat in after his insistent knocking or was the door open and Virat had waltzed in? He didn't remember the details.

He just remember Virat sitting with him, not leaving him alone.

"Do...Do I belong here, Virat? Am I good enough?" He remembers asking this to Virat some time that night, tired of Virat's jokes and 'It's all right" attitude.

"What do you think kid?" He had asked him instead of answering.

"Idk!! I mean I felt I could and then I failed and now, I don't even know if I'll get to play again or not?" He had confessed sounding all confused, low and very-very under confident.

"Well, if I tell you...you'll then what'll you do?" Virat had asked him and Rahul didn't know whether he was serious or not?

"I'll do my best or well try too!" He had said then the fire to prove himself still burning somewhere inside him even under all the uncertainties and anxieties.

"That's the spirit my boy!" Virat had said sagely back then his eyes sparkling with mirth and Rahul didn't found any form of mirth in the current situation. He had stared at his Captain blankly hearing his words and Virat had changed the topic then. They talked about Monku, beaches and sea-food.

And He doesn't remember when or how he fell asleep?

But he had and when he had woken up the next day. Virat and he were sprawled on the floor and he couldn't believe Virat had stayed back and slept on the floor for him. The rest of days before the final match had gone in a blur between practice and third wheeling Virat.