9 to 5

2,463 Words
Enjoy

The comforting sound of a strumming guitar came from Ethan's phone, quick-paced and upbeat while simultaneously being calming.

His eyes opened, groggily, as the symbols swelled up into the rock and roll that helped him get up and kicking in the morning. He knew eventually he'd have to change the song he'd set his alarm to, he didn't want to get to a point where it made him hate the song because he associated it with work.

The sun shone between the blinds that were over his window, filling the room with warm light. He sat up in the bed with a stretch and picked up his phone from the nightstand, humming to the beat as he walked over to his closet and grabbed one of his three work shirts.

He'd showered the night before, so he pulled the shirt on immediately, cringing inwardly- just slightly- over the staticky sensation of the fabric over his hair. As he closed the doors of his closet, the first verse of the song rolled in.

Now if you're feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues you been paying
Future's coming much too slow

Ethan huffed, an unamused smirk on his face.

And you wanna run, but somehow you just keep on stayin'
Can't decide on which way to go

He opened a drawer and pulled out a pair of black skinny jeans along with his belt, singing the next part softly, mostly humming, as he pulled them on.

"I understand about indecision,"

One leg in.

"But I don't care if I get behind..."

Another leg, he did his best to harmonize here, voice louder and more confident in his voice as he stood upright,

"People livin' in competition,"

He belt out the next lyric in a more joking way as he zipped his pants closed,

"All I want, is to have some peace oooof miiiind!"

He giggled at himself as he pulled his belt through the loops, grabbing his phone again as the song continued, over to his bathroom. After flipping the light switch on and ignoring the fact that things were strewn unorganized across the counter as he set his phone down, he fixed his hair so it wasn't such a mess. Moving his feet ever so slightly to the rhythm as he washed his face, rubbing the fog of sleep out of his eyes, then brushing his teeth, deodorant, the works. After rinsing the toothpaste out of his mouth, he put on his glasses that were sitting on the counter, and he looked at himself in the mirror.

Now everybody's got advice, they just keep on givin'
Doesn't mean too much to me,
Lots of people out to make-believe they're livin'
Can't decide who they should be...

It was one of those days where he was feeling himself, or maybe it was the music, but for a second he admired his current haircut, and the lack of acne on his face after battling with it for so long. Yeah, he was pretty proud of how he looked right now.

A small smile graced his face as he turned away, phone in hand again as he bounced down the steps, hitting the volume up button on the way.

"Take a look ahead!"

He stopped on a step, playing air guitar with passion as he made sounds that could be construed as trying to sound like the notes of the guitar,

"Take a look ahead!"

He hit the bottom of the steps with pizzazz, throwing his arms back and chest out, head up,

"Look aheaaaad!"