✩ Five Girls Chase Boys

We had narrowly escaped Mr. Hutchins force of bodyguards. Devlin was so shaken by the incident that he asked me to drive in his place. He had a new car, a shiny grey Porsche Cayman GTS which was the finest car I've ever driven. If it were another occasion, I would have enjoyed its powerful brakes and amazing horsepower.

"Take another left," He instructed me for I was clueless about the place we were headed off to. He didn't bother explaining either and sat still, staring blankly out the window.

The narrow strip of road was surrounded by lush greenery. I turned the car around the forest of pine trees and cedar trees. For miles no car was visible on the single lane road. I had a bad feeling about all of this. The path began winding upwards as the road took a turn onto the mountain.

I pressed the brakes. "Are we going all the way up?" My eyes traced the hazed lines of the mountain and the road wound around its edges.

"No," Devlin replied a minute later. "Here," He unfastened my seatbelt. "I'll drive now. You rest." I wasn't tired even though it had been two hours since we had left his apartment but I didn't protest.

After switching seats, he started the engine again and shifted the gear to third. The climb wasn't that steep which would need the most powerful gear. He said we weren't going all the way up.

Instead of taking the gravel, black road, he steered the car towards a bumpy, unkempt path hidden at the side of the forest. Into the darkness of the forest we went, each bump jolting me forward in the seat.

I don't know how he was driving on this gravel-less, mud road. Plus it didn't look this road was used often. There was grass and weeds growing over the small clearing.

In a distance, a small house sat on an inclined slope. It was so well hidden by the forest, one could only make the vague outline of its chimney. I realized that was where he was headed.

To distract myself from silent man and the mysterious place he was taking me. I turned on the radio which made this bumpy ride even more miserable as Talking body by Tove Lo blared through.

"If you love me right, we fuc-" I jammed my fingers into the stereo, desperate to stop the song. Great, this is exactly what we needed to think about as we approached a secluded place.

"Why did you turn it off? I like that song," I couldn't tell if he truly did like the song or he was being a sarcastic ass.

I glared at him. As if sensing my glare, he smirked. "What? It has a great beat," And then innocently he began singing. "Now if we're talking body. You got a perfect one, so put it on me. Swear it won't take you long,"

Color crept slowing onto my neck and filled my cheeks.

"I hate you," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest. "I hate so damn much,"

"I love you too," He gave me a full Grinch grin. "I love so very, very much." How I wished my heart hadn't skipped several beats in a row. He was back to his cheery self. Or was it just a cover for what was really going on under his skin?

There are two kinds of people in this world. One who complain even when there is no reason to, another who won't ever complain even if there are a million reason to. I know Devlin belonged to the second category. I'll have to be real careful around him because he won't ever let me know how hurt he is.

"Fuck off,"

"Aw, hit a nerve, did I?" He turned his attention back to the mud path. It was beginning to ascend onto the small hill. I could hear the engine and tires fight against the steep incline. My stomach gave out a fearful lurch. I gritted my teeth together as I looked down the incline. The trees and the forest were beginning to shrink away as small dots on a canvas of brown.