Crystal could talk about physics and its laws and all its unanswered questions for hours and she was surprised to realize that Neil was just familiar with it as she was.
In her college courses, except for the professors, she never found anyone fond enough of the matter to deal with that kind of long conversation and speculation.

In a normal world she and Neil could have been simply two physics teachers who could spend their free time talking about that subject.

Neil blinked confused when he realized how far their talking have went.
He also was totally drawn into the conversation, and it surprised him.
"I guess you don't even need to take that exam anymore" he said clearing his throat, like he was caught doing something wrong "You will find it very easy anyway".
Crystal felt quite disoriented.
They were both comfortable with the physics talk, she didn't expect that pleasure to end so quickly.
"We can talk about it again, if you want" she suggested, hating that a conversation that was going so fluently was abruptly interrupted.
"Sure" he said dismissively.
It didn't sound like a promise, so she didn't hope he would keep his word.
That would have been even more enjoyable, if instead of the usual flirting and seduction, she could breach into his heart by simply talking about her favourite subject.
And maybe after that, he would melt enough to agree to some more physical conversation, until they could turn physics into a pillow talk.

Crystal sighed. Finding out that Neil was the person she needed for her physics discussions didn't help her with mission.
It was too a big waste to kill a brilliant mind like his.

"I have also another piece of news for you" Neil announced, knowing nothing about her mental debate and struggles.
She noticed that he disapproved what he was about to say.
"Ives persuaded our boss to let you join our new mission, in Europe, next week".
"Great news" she commented aloud, but he scowled at her.
"It's a real mission. Not simple practice" he warned "Are you sure you are ready enough?".
Crystal inhaled deeply, feeling offended "I hoped that I taught you not to underestimate me. I'm ready to anything. If there's some throat that needed to be cut open, I'm ready to that too".
He shuddered at her crude statement "Just make sure that it won't be your throat to be cut open".
Wearing his mask of diffidence again, he walked away.
Crystal didn't have time to overthink about his weird behaviour.
In the following days she seeked more details about the new mission for Tenet.

When night fell, she went back to her flat.
After closing the door behind her, she realized that someone was there.
The warmth abandoned her body when she recognized the dark haired man who was wandering in her bedroom.

He wore an expensive suit and his blue eyes behind his glasses were icily and piercing.
No detail could be missed.

"It's good to see you back, alone" the man said with an allusive grin "This place is clean. Good job".

Crystal gaped a little, still petrified by the door.
The man walked to her and with an amused smile he locked the door behind her, taking away the key.

"Damaris" she greeted, remembering to breath before being choked by fear "I didn't expect you here".
"I can clearly see that" he mocked her, taking some steps in her kitchen "Do you have anything for dinner?".
"I already ate" she replied, regretting it because she felt retching.

Damaris didn't look bothered and invited her to sit at the table in front of him.
With rigid movements, she obeyed, feeling vulnerable under his hungry gaze.

"So, our boss heard about the mission" he started to deal with their business "He preferred sending me here for proper planning and to check that you're alright".
Crystal swallowed under his relentless gaze.
"Is Tenet's food good at least?" he teased in a bad attempt to soften the tension.
She nodded weakly "Edible".

He chuckled, then used a more stern expression "Getting that suitcase is very important to our boss. Tenet believes that it's a simple rescue mission, but our team will be there. When you'll send us a signal that the suitcase is retrieved, we will intervene and take it. It means that your mission could already end it there".

Crystal stared at him, focusing on the meaning of his words. She didn't expect her mission to end so quickly, now after she just adapted to the world of Tenet.
She didn't even manage to befriend Neil yet.

"You look disappointed" Damaris noted "The Korol will be pleased to know that you took this mission so seriously. Probably you won't even need to kill anyone. Leave it to us".

She felt relieved at the thought that she didn't have to murder anyone anymore, but it was a tiny hope, killed by the mention of the Korol's team to deal with the dirty stuff.

"Bring us to that black suitcase" Damaris said peremptorily "We also pondered the idea of a new plan. We can make it look like we kidnap you. So, if you befriended them well enough, they will care to come to us to rescue you. If we don't go to Tenet, it's Tenet to come to us. And we'll slaughter them together".

Crystal stood still. It was a wicked plan. She couldn't expect anything less from someone brutal and ruthless like Damaris, The Butcher.

"Understood" she replied firmly. She wasn't allowed to protest, only to obey.
"Good girl" he simpered and stood up to inspect her fridge, taking out a bottle of vodka that he drank alone.
"I thought of spending the night here" he said after observing her for some moments that were worse than any torture for her "But I see that you're not feisty tonight. I'll find a hotel. We have time to celebrate properly when you'll be back home".

Said by him, the word home lost any positive meaning.
If she had a choice, she would avoid him forever.
He was the most heartless amongst the Korol's agents. He could accidentally cut the throat of an innocent woman after pleasing himself with her body and feel no guilt at all. He would call it mercy.
And he persuaded Crystal that he was right. Death was a mercy when he knew inhuman ways to torture people and extend their agony.

Crystal froze when he placed some fingers under her chin and make her look up at him.
"Who did this to you? The training?" he asked softly, brushing his fingertips on some bruise on her cheek.
"Yes" she whispered.
"Do you want some comfort?" he said quizzically.
No, she begged mentally. He couldn't change his mind.
"I'm fine" she dismissed and stiffened even more when he leaned closer and pressed his lips on her bruise.
"Of course you are. Goodnight, Crys" smirking he moved away.

She didn't move until she heard the door being closed and locked. Then she was finally free to breath and tears filled her eyes.
She took her time to recover from the shock, then she noticed something new in her flat.
A pot with white chrysanthemum. They were used to symbolise devoted love and loyalty. But they were also the flowers of November, the month of death.

A/N

Sat 9th January 2021

I couldn't plan this book without some clear reference to Batman

Besides, I adore Cillian Murphy and this is also a tribute to the first role I saw him playing, that is precisely Scarecrow in Nolan's Batman
Can it be already 2022 please? 🙏
I'm dying to see Robert Pattinson as the new Batman 🦇I checked all the pictures and videos available online from the filming, but I can't just get enough of him 😍

Does this Neil look a bit like Rob's grim Batman? I hope not 🤔

I'm loving next chapter and I can't wait to publish it. It's so dramatic, as Neil would say 😂

For now, I leave you with Crystal's daydream  👇🔥

(For Camille it wasn't a daydream at all 😬🍀)