Ten

"Of course I am envious. He can command the attention of every lady in the room just by walking into it."-Lord George's observation upon the announcement of his brother at Lady Helen's dinner party to his friend Henry, Mr. Atherton.

Lord George and Bridget joined a small party of ladies; Miss Stanley, Miss Imogen Grey, and Miss Smythe near the far end of the parlor room.

"Good evening ladies," Lord George said smoothly, bearing his most debonair smile.

"Good evening, Lord George, Miss Atherton," all three ladies replied in unison bowing their heads.

"It is a fine evening for a party, is it not?" Lord George lifted a glass of wine from a silver tray that a servant passed around.

"Would you care to join us?" Miss Smythe inquired, motioning to the vacant seat next to her. She sat primly on the tan sofa, like a queen amongst her subjects, waving her fan about as if the temperature, perfectly suited for their short-sleeved gowns, was too warm. Miss Smythe wore a bright yellow frock that reminded Bridget of a ripe lemon rind. Miss Smythe's deep mahogany curls were intertwined with ribbon, the same hue as her dress. Bridget wondered the motivation behind Miss Smythe's choice to wear such an obnoxious gown. Notwithstanding Miss Smythe's natural beauty, it appeared that her choice in gown style and color intended the lady to appear less attractive. In short, she was a walking banana.

Bridget made the appropriate salutations, stalling with a few questions about Mrs. Smythe's health in order to think of a suitable compliment in exchange for the one Miss Smythe paid her. In the end, she lamely offered, "Your dress is very striking, Miss Smythe."

Miss Smythe gushed, "Do you think so? I told mama at the dressmakers that it was too bright a color, but she insisted that I could manage it."

Miss Grey and Miss Stanley sipped their teas, snickering behind the rims of their teacups.

"Ah yes, mothers tend to believe they know what is best for us. I suppose it would have done little to quarrel with her on the subject," Bridget replied with a smile.

"Certainly not," Miss Smythe replied swiftly, her gaze moving to meet Lord George's eyes. She batted her eyes in anticipation of his expected compliment. Miss Smythe would not be disappointed that evening. Lord George was quite practiced in the art of flattery.

"I agree with Miss Atherton," he said as he kissed Miss Smythe's hand. "Your dress caught my attention from across the room."

Miss Smythe beamed, overly pleased. "Thank you, Lord George. I'll be sure to tell my mother about its success. She demanded that every eligible suitor took notice of me tonight."

"I have no doubt," came Lord George's succinct reply.

Bridget bit back her urge to laugh. Miss Smythe had many faults, but at least she had the good sense of knowing that her mother was making a spectacle of her.

Lord George shifted his weight to address the remaining ladies in the party. They sat placidly, though their eyes betraying their eagerness for Lord George's acquaintance.

"Miss Grey, Miss Stanley, you ladies are looking remarkably well this evening." Lord George stepped and lightly kissed each of their gloved hands. "Please forgive me for not saying so earlier."

"You are too kind," Miss Grey said shyly.

Miss Stanley lowered her eyes to the floor, her blush betraying her gratitude.

Lord George winked at Miss Atherton, a glint of mischief in his eye. Lord George was clearly enjoying the effect that he had on the young ladies.

"Lord George, would you be so kind as to introduce me to your fair companion?" Miss Grey said, hoping to redirect Lord George's gaze upon her once more.