Three

"Destiny can only do so much in bringing two people together - in most cases both parties need some sort of encouragement." -Bridget's Aunt, The Marchioness of Charvil, on the business of marriage.

___

On the Monday that Lord Norbury, Lady Norbury, Henry, and Bridget intended to depart for London grey clouds darkened the sky and blanketed the roads with heavy rain preventing safe coach passage. Three days later the rain ceased, but Lord and Lady Atherton decided it prudent to postpone their trip a few extra days until the roads were in finer condition. Lord and Lady Norbury passed the hours leading up to their departure in comfort. Bridget, on the other hand, was anxious to depart for Town. With each day that she remained in Norbury Park, the more nervous that she became about her arrangement with Lord George. Her curiosity tore at her nerves. Henry had departed for Town by horse early Thursday morning and promised to write if coach travel could be arranged without fear of being overturned. And so, Bridget was left to her own devices until further news could be ascertained.

Several days later, two letters arrived for Bridget both postmarked from London. One letter was from her cousin, Lady Helen, the other from Henry.

Bridget held the letters in each of her hands, perplexed as to which she should read first. Henry's letter proved appealing since it would determine if she should prepare for departure, but Helen's letter was equally attractive with the promise of containing news from Town. Bridget fanned herself with the letters.

What to do, what to do. . .

Bridget finally settled on reading Helen's missive first. It was dated four days earlier. Not surprisingly, Helen's penmanship was a little left to be desired, Bridget could see her cousin sitting at her escritoire scribbling her words furiously on parchment before she forgot them.

Sunday, April 25, 1813

125 Carrington House, Park Lane

London

My Dearest Bridget,

You must guess my disappointment in learning that your arrival in London has been delayed due to inclement weather. I trust this letter finds you in the best of health. As always, please give my regards to my aunt and uncle. Cousin Henry arrived just yesterday. His poor horse had its hooves caked with mud - no doubt accounting for the slowness of his journey. We had expected him to arrive the night before. Still, Henry was in the brightest of spirits. He greeted me with a merry embrace. One's place is always cheerier with him around to entertain. Father and mother were certainly happy to see him. But no sooner had he entered the house, he was off again - though we were able to detain him for a few minutes by mother's impeccable timing of the lunch service. You know Henry, he's always thinking of his stomach, and the aroma from the kitchen was too much for him to ignore. We had venison stew by the way. Isn't that Henry's favorite? In any case, we did not see him again until the next morning when the smell of bacon brought him downstairs.

The season is quite underway. With the newest additions in Town, Mother and I have been making calls every day. It is quite exhausting - but then every year it is. Afternoon tea times find our parlor filled with guests. It is comforting to see so many familiar faces. Though I confess, I fear that our stock of biscuits will be depleted by month's end! I daresay that there are more people in Town this year than the last. Having said that, members of the peerage seem to be dwindling in number as more gentlemen and ladies join our circle with what one might call "obscure backgrounds." Course - between you and I -we may take comfort that they can never truly be considered ton. Still, I do not mean to insinuate that I am better being the daughter of a Marquess, but there is certain amount of pride to be had in the association. But London has become rather modern, and my dear you know as well as I, that a gentleman may establish consequence amongst the ton with landholdings and ready money.