tryouts and a new friend

Andi walked into the gym with her shoes and knee pads in her bag. Varsity volleyball tryouts were happening today and Andi was excited. Her main goal was to make a good impression... and make the team. Volleyball was the one thing that Andi was best at. And man was she good at it. People in New York know that she's good and she wants people in London to know that she's good too. She was putting knee pads on when she saw a pair of feet approach her. She looked up to see Jess.

"Jess?"

"hi." He sat down in front of her and took his shoes and knee pads out of his bag. "you play volleyball too?"

Andi nodded. "hence the equipment." She chuckled.

"those are basketball shoes." Jess deadpanned.

"I'm... aware." Andi gave him a confused look.

"you play volleyball.. in basketball shoes?" He asked and let out a light chuckle.

"they're actually more convenient than you think."

"really?"

"yeah, see now I don't need ankle braces 'cause they're high rise." Andi shrugged.

Jess nodded and clicked his tongue. "nice." He responded. "now get to the real reason why you use basketball shoes." He demanded.

Andi sighed. "they're way nicer than volleyball shoes." She confessed, in which the two laughed. "we should probably sign in and warm up, huh?"

"yeah, let's go." With that, the two stood up and made their way to the sign up sheet. There was one for Varsity boys and one for Varsity girls. When Jess finished writing down his name and position, he looked over to the girls' sign up sheet to see that Andi had written down two positions.

"left side and libero, huh? Impressive." He complimented.

"what do you play?" Andi wondered.

Jess shrugged. "middle." He then towered over her, making her laugh. Andi was only up to Jess' shoulder in height.

"okay, we get it! You're tall." She replied. "go warm up."

He clicked his tongue. "kay, see ya Tilly."

Andi rolled her eyes. "it's An- ugh never mind." She then got a ball and looked around for a partner. Suddenly, a girl walked up to her.

"hi, I'm Kate." She smiled nicely. Kate. Why did that sound familiar to Andi?

"I'm Andi. Do you wanna warm up?" She suggested.

Kate laughed. "I was just about to ask you."

"so I guess it works out." Andi remarked. The two then found a spot on the court and began to warm up together. Two girls then started to warm up beside Andi and Kate. Andi recognized one of the girls as Alannah, the girl she accidentally crashed into on the first day of school. The coach blew the whistle, in which everybody went to the middle of one of the court, where she was.

On the way, Alannah approached Andi. "Andi, right?"

"yeah, how did you know?" Andi replied with a shy smile.

"Jess talked about you the other day." Alannah answered with a tone of jealousy.

"he did? What did he say?" Andi didn't know why she wanted to know what Jess said about her. After all, she has a boyfriend, why would she care?

"doesn't matter, just back off from him, will you? He's mine." Alannah demanded, annoying Andi.

"he's aaall yours." She rolled her eyes. "I have a boyfriend anyways." She informed and walked past her.