Chapter 1:

****Before I start this off, I do not own The 100 or any of its characters. I only own Alex and her plot/storyline as I have made her up in my mind. Besides that, all rights remain with the original creators.   Let me know what you think so far. I'll try to write as much as I can, along with updating my other stories as well.****

The Ark. It's the place I've spent my whole life, and my mother as well, and her mother before her. What's left of the human population could be found here on the Ark, a combination of 12 space stations that managed to escape the earth after a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone left on Earth. The Ark was home to people who never knew anything outside of these metal walls. They were happy here, happy to be alive, happy to think of the possibility of someday returning to earth.

The ark had everything humans would need to survive a life in space. Farms, doctors, education, electricity, and most importantly, oxygen. However, the only difference between me and the rest of the people here, is that I'm stuck in a cell block, awaiting my 18th birthday. Luckily, I still had a few months, so I wasn't worried as of yet.

I was arrested about a year ago, for a crime that was just a mere accident. My mother died of a heart attack shortly after, leaving no one behind to worry about me in the prison. The only thing keeping me sane through my imprisonment was the thought of my 18th birthday. When it comes, I'll be up for review, and could possibly be released back into civilization.

I just hoped that the Chancellor would allow me to explain myself, to tell him that I hadn't started the fire that burned down the science lab. Or, at least I didn't mean too. All I really remember from that night was my class taking a trip to one of the Ark's science facilities. Someone bumped into me, causing me to knock something off a shelf. It was a glass jar full of some liquid that I didn't know the name of. I quickly found a towel, wiping the liquid up and throwing the towel onto a counter, wanting to hide the evidence.

How was I supposed to know that the chemical was flammable, and that I had thrown a towel soaked in the chemical onto a lit Bunsen burner. In my defense, they shouldn't have left a Bunsen burner on when they had a group of minors touring through the lab, an accident was bound to happen.

Once the chemically soaked towel hit the flame, it exploded, causing more chemicals to explode within the lab. Everyone else quickly escaped, but I was stuck in the lab. My exit was blocked by the fire. Eventually the amount of smoke was enough to make me pass out. When I finally came through, I was in a cell inside of the Ark's prison.

The Chancellor was sitting in a chair, just by the door. He explained that since I was still a minor, I wouldn't be executed for the crime of blowing up the lab.

"Since you seem to like starting fires, why don't you use your time here to learn about technology. Maybe then, if you are released, you could be of some use to our technicians here on the Ark, seeing as our technicians made most of the tools that you destroyed with that fire." The Chancellor had told me.

I wasn't even allowed a chance to explain how I hadn't started the fire on purpose. I was told that security footage showed me throwing the towel onto the fire, and that was all the evidence they needed to imprison me.

So until my 18th birthday, I was stuck in this cell, whilst also being known as a fire starter amongst the rest of the prisoners. Because of this, I decided to listen to the Chancellor, and learn to be a technician. Maybe with another technician on the Ark, we could find a way to get off of this damn scrap of metal.

I sighed, closing my textbook. The Ark was nice enough to actually provide me textbooks to study. They must have really needed more technicians if they provided a prisoner with learning material to learn the trade.

I sat on the floor, looking out the small window of my cell. I could see earth from here. From the Ark, it didn't look like the radiation filled planet that we knew it to be. I'd be happy just to see a real plant, one that wasn't grown here inside the Ark.

My cell door opened, revealing two guards.

"Prisoner 176, face the wall." The guard said.

I stood up, facing the wall as instructed.

"Arms out." The guard continues.

I hold my arms out, figuring they were just doing another weekly weapons check.

Sometimes the prisoners would have things smuggled in when their families came for visits. But it's almost as if they forgot that my mother was dead, and no one would come to visit me again.

I cried in pain when I felt something sharp stab into my wrist. I struggle, trying to free my arm that was now being held by the second guard.

"W-What's going on?!" I ask, as I continue to struggle in the guards grasp.

The guard sighed in annoyance before giving a look to the other guard. The first guard nods his hand before taking his gun from his holster. I begin to panic, tears streaking down my face, thinking that he was going to shoot me. Instead, he lifts the gun before swinging it back against the side of my head, knocking me unconscious.