Day Eight

The rest of last night was pretty much spent drinking wine and actually having a bloody good time. I managed to squeeze in a bit of writing under the guise of getting something from the car, but Richard came looking for me and wouldn't go away until I stopped writing. He hovered, extremely close, trying to read over my shoulder again so I gave up and went back into the room with him.

Now, I should point out that we raided Walmart and have furniture of sorts. We have lawn chairs for sitting around, and a foldable picnic table that we dragged out of the corner for dinner with the others.

Oh, shit, Richard's here. We're going out for a bit with James, and grabbing some food too. Oh, and I remember the lyrics to the song now. It's from one of my all time favourite Disney movies, Tarzan. Can't remember who sings it, though.

---

I'm baaaaaack! Obviously. Well, I mean I totally could have died via zombie mob, but I didn't. It was rather intense, but shit James is good with a gun! He went for a simple pistol, but he took down the zombies like a pro. I'd only seen him use a gun once, on Man Lab, but I was not expecting that. Just wow. Oh god, I hope he doesn't find this. Or Richard! I'd never hear the end of it.

Right, so where was I? When we went shopping earlier, we ran into a mob (I really don't know what a group of zombies is called) of the stupid zombies, and they seemed a bit angrier than usual. They all charged us at once, and it pretty much turned into an all out war.

"Shit, Richard!" I yelped, aiming the shotgun over his head and shooting the zombie that had been coming for him.

They were coming from all angles, so we backed against a wall to make killing them easier. Richard had brought along Jeremy's AK47 and was enjoying shooting them many many times.

"Jess, stop staring at Richard and shoot!" James yelled, shooting the zombie that was reaching out towards me.

"Sorry," I muttered, reaching into my jacket pocket, only to find it empty. "Shit."

James sighed. "Let me guess, you're out of ammo?"

"Er, possibly."

"You numpty," Richard laughed.

"It's okay, though, I have back up. Look!" I pulled a handgun out of her back pocket, waving it around happily.

James rolled his eyes and went back to focusing on the zombies. So, naturally, I figured now would be a good time to try and impress James, by aiming for an eye of the zombie shuffling towards me. I missed, instead clipping its ear– although the bullet did hit the zombie behind the one I'd aimed at.

"Have you ever used one of those before?" James asked, glancing over at me.

"Of course I have," I scoffed.

He lifted an eyebrow at me, clearly seeing straight through my lie.

"Okay, so I've only used a shotgun. Richard taught me."

"Well obviously he taught you wrong, the pickey," James sighed, lowering his weapon.

"This isn't the time, James!" Richard took down two more zombies.

"Nonsense, you're doing fine, Hammond." James stowed his pistol away and stood close behind me. "Now, change your hold like this." He wrapped his fingers around mine, adjusting the gun, then trailing down to hold my wrist. "Then extend your arm like so, and take aim." He moved my arm, shuffling closer to line up the gun (by now I was trying to ignore his chest pressed into my back and his, er, hips...) "Then just squeeze the trigger."

I was so busy concentrating on not concentrating on the feel of his body, it took me a few moments to actually shoot. When I did, the bullet hit directly between the zombies eyes, and I let out a victory squeak. "Shit, did you see that?" I grinned at Hammond. "Right between the eyes, ha!"

Richard smiled back at me, but I could tell it was forced– he actually seemed jealous. So I thanked James, and moved away to shoot at more zombies.

Once all the zombies had been taken out (there were twenty odd of the buggers) we raced into the shops as quickly as we could to pick up supplies, then raced back to the garage. As we got back, and Richard was parking up, something interesting happened.

When James had passed the last bag of shopping through to Jeremy, he turned to Richard and muttered something, shooting a glance over at me, and I saw Richard's eyes widen. He nodded and scampered through to the other garage.

"Er, James?"

He turned to me with a tight smile and motioned me over to the corner. I followed him.

"James, if this is your idea of hitting on me, it's not very original." (I should point out that Jeremy had done a similar thing the other day, asking me to help him with something in the car, and then standing way too close and awkwardly trying to flirt. It was adorable, I have to say, but that man is a subtle as a brick to the face).

James laughed slightly. "If I was going to hit on you, Jess, it wouldn't be in a dark corner."

I grinned despite myself. "Okay then, what's up?"

"You know that song you've been humming?" he asked gently.

I frowned. "Yeah?" Where was he going with this?

"Do you know who sings it?"

"Er, no. I can't remember."

"Do you know the lyrics?" he pressed.

"I know the chorus."

"Hm," he muttered, staring at me with his head tilted slightly.

I shifted uncomfortably, but he didn't say anything more. "Did you want me to sing it?" I joked. I hoped he didn't say yes, it would be embarrassing as fuck.

He looked as if he was about to say yes, but then Jeremy yelled through for James, and he shook his head. "Don't worry about it." He shot me a quick smile, then hurried off to Jeremy.

I shook my own head, in confusion, and walked after him, humming the song again.