Day Three

Why was I looking forward to shopping? The zombies didn't bother us much, but Clarkson wouldn't shut up. I almost left him at the garage, but Richard pointed out he'd be useful for heavy things. If you're wondering, here's how the pre-shopping conversation went.

"Right, so we'll leave here about noon and head for the shops. I figure we'll only need an hour in total. Agreed?" I told the boys.

Richard nodded. Jeremy, however, shook his head.

"An hour isn't long enough to get into town and back."

I sighed. "We are not going into town, Jez. There are plenty of shops just down the road. There's a Walmart!"

"But in town there are gun shops," he tried.

"We don't need more guns." We already have a whole pile of weaponry. "What we do need is food."

"There's food shops in town."

"Look, Jeremy, we are not going into town and that's that."

That wasn't the end of his complaining, of course, but I just ignored him and told Richard to do the same. He was easier to handle if you treated him like a whiney teenager, which was exactly how he was acting. When we finally sneaked out at exactly seventeen minutes past noon, Jeremy jumped in the passenger seat to keep a watch for zombies. Richard didn't complain, we'd come up with a little rotating schedule for the car. And when I say car, I actually mean Jeep. One of those new hulking black things. A Cherokee, if I'm not mistaken.

So we drove along, with Jeremy clinging onto his rifle, and me and Richard chatted about cats. Not just any cats, of course, my cats. Richard had made me choose between my two babies, because one was a male and the other female and we didn't need kittens running about the place. So I let Oliver go fend for himself and took Lily with me. I just hope Oliver will stay out of trouble until this whole thing is over- whenever that will be. Genesis is still playing on every frequency.

When we got to the shops, Jeremy was slightly putout that there weren't any zombies to kill, but once we were in Walmart he was happy to go plundering. I had to be the sensible one and grab things like bread, tea, tinned fruit and toilet paper, while Richard hunted down a can opener and some cat food. When Jeremy met us at the entrance, his basket was half full of knives and gardening weapons. I made him put most of it back, but the weed whacker seemed like it might be fun, if messy. And the weed killer would be useful full of gasoline. Fried zombies, anyone?

We managed to pack everything into the back of the Jeep, and convince Clarkson he didn't actually need the weed whacker in the car, then set off again. It was smooth going until we hit traffic- zombie traffic. Every afternoon at about 3pm, the zombies all just stood in the middle of the road. We have absolutely no idea why it happens, or what they're doing, but it gives us a good chance to mow down the enemy. Literally. I slammed my foot into the accelerator and plowed into the zombies. They go everywhere. It's a mix of highly disgusting and absolute fun. We took down as many as we could, then looped around and went through the car wash. Richard helped me get it running again the first time we stopped to clean the car, so we just hit the button and come out with a squeaky clean Jeep. Luckily, the zombies never follow us to the car wash, or back to the garage.

So we parked up in the opposite garage, and hauled all the food through the huge hole in the wall (second day here, Jeremy took a sledgehammer to the wall and we park the Jeep in there to keep it safe. And my cat likes to eat in there), where Jeremy immediately demanded tea.

So that was our day. Fun. Now it's time to make dinner for a man who is possibly even more fussy than me- at least I eat tuna!