1.8 | The Fun In That

18 | The Fun In That

→ Now where would be the fun in that? 

→ Splash, splash, splash

━━━

THE DULL ROAR of pouring rain outside only excited me. To anyone else, it may seem like a depressing day in the midst of winter but I was thrilled to try out my new rain boots and see how far I could splash against the puddles on the ground.

I impatiently call out to daddy as I shove the rain boots on my feet. Daddy shows up at the end of the staircase, all padded up in rain gear and holding a clear umbrella with polka dots.

"Can we blow bubbles in the rain?" I wonder out loud. I see the blue container of bubbles sitting on top of the cabinet. Oh how fun it would be to watch the bubbles fly in the rain.

"No princess, they would pop." Daddy explains and pulls his raincoat on simultaneously. He grabs my miniature minnie mouse one and pulls it over my shoulders. I stick my hands out in the shape of a 'T' to let him stick the sleeves inside my arms.

I think for a minute about daddy's answer. Pop? Then it comes clicking to me like a lightbulb shining above my head. The droplets would hit the bubbles and pop them like evil monsters. I giggle at the thought of a monster falling from the sky. That would hurt all the people on the ground.

I fling the door open the moment daddy stops blocking the doorway and run into the grass front porch. Something tickles my hand and I look down to see a rain droplet dripping down my palm. I hold my palm out, observing the speckle before dropping my hand. I squint my eyes against the heavy pouring rain.

The water suddenly stops thumping on my head and I look up curiously to see daddy holding the umbrella over my head. His hair was all soaked unlike mine since he forgot his rain hood.

I jump onto the little puddle on the pavement, leaving the shelter of daddy's umbrella. Water splashes shortly in all directions but doesn't make it too far. My rainboots streaked with water like a pattern just on the outside lining.

"Bumblebee, be careful. You're going to catch a cold," daddy warns from under the umbrella. He tries moving forward to hold the umbrella over me but I run away from him, my new rainboots becoming more and more drenched on the way. He chases me while I run around the backyard until he finally pulls me backwards by the shoulder gently. "That's enough for today."

"No, I wanna do it again." I whine, throwing my hands in the air. I loved the feeling of the rain battering on me, the feeling of water all around me, and watching the water splash as my boots hit the puddles.

"Later, hun. Let's go inside now." I scowl, not in the mood to obey these instructions. Daddy spins and lifts my feet off the ground. He drops the umbrella that falls to the ground in the process. With me now on his back whining, he picks up the umbrella and we run back into shelter together. Our bodies soak with water but I wasn't feeling anything but happy at that moment. On daddy's shoulders.

━━━

"Jessica, we are very disappointed in you." His use of my full name makes me realize how much in trouble I actually was. I bite on my nail but keep my eyes downcast. Suddenly, my worn out shoes seemed like the most interesting thing in the world. "You broke not one, but three of our rules."