First Day of Work

After you finish your breakfast with The Onceler, he stands from the table and extends his hand to you. You take it and he pulls you onto your feet before releasing your hand and starting towards the door.

"Since you are now officially on the clock, I will give you some time to prepare your pitch before you meet me in my office." He gives a slight wave without looking at you and opens the door of your room.

"Wait, Sir? What pitch?" You ask confused.

"Your sales pitch." He smiles slightly. "You're going to propose your ideas of how this company is going to restore the forest. And you're going to pitch it to a few of my investors." He explains. You feel the blood drain from your face.

"M-Me?! D-Don't you think that you should be the one presenting it? I-I mean your the CEO of the company so it just makes more sense, right?" You stumble over your words in a panic. The possibility of failure very clear in your mind as you begin to fidget and pace back and forth. The Onceler's face softens. He walks over to you and places his hands on your shoulders, forcing you to stop pacing and look at him.

"It'll be okay Jessie. I'll be right there with you. If you stumble over your words, I'll jump in and continue for a bit while you calm down. You can practice with me beforehand so that won't happen." He leans forward and gently places a kiss on your forehead. "Meet me in my office when you're ready okay?" He backs away from you and walks out the open door, pulling it closed behind him. You stand there motionless for a moment, trying to comprehend what just happened. Your wits return to you and you shake your head.

"Gah! I need to get to work on this." You mumble to yourself as you walk over to your desk and pull out some paper. You sit down and begin writing down your ideas.

After about 20 minutes, you put down your pen and lean back in your chair. You smile as you look at the diagrams you've created. You look over at the clock and realize what time it is. You jump up and scramble to collect your papers before slipping your heels on and practically running out of the door. Just as you're about to reach The Onceler's office, his receptionist stops you.

"Where on earth have you been?" She questions.

"I was working on the pitch for Mr.Onceler's meeting." You respond in a somewhat matter-of-fact tone. She looks you up and down and scoffs.

"Whatever, Oncie told me to stop you once you got here and tell you that the investors won't be here for about another hour and that he'd like to speak with you beforehand." She returns to her desk as she speaks and motions for you to move along. You happily oblige and walk towards the large double doors at the end of the hallway. You knock before you turn the handle and push the door open slightly.

"Mr.Onceler? Sir are you here? May I come in?" You don't hear a response. You push the door open and enter the room but find it empty. You look around for your boss who is nowhere in sight. "Sir?" You walk over to his desk and place the folder you were carrying onto his desk. "Your receptionist said you wanted to speak with me." You look around again but still catch no sight of him. You look towards the balcony and notice someone standing at the railing. You walk over the the doors and see that the person standing there is indeed your boss. You push the door open quietly and step out onto the balcony before closing the door behind you. You walk up to him and tap him on the shoulder. "Sir? Is everything alright?" He startles at the sound of your voice and almost loses his balance.

"Good lord Jessie you scared the life out of me!" He says jokingly as he catches his breath. You smile shyly and giggle.

"My apologies Sir, but I have finished the sales pitch you asked me to work on and placed everything in a folder which I put on your desk when I came in." You motion towards the door. He nods and walks inside towards his desk. You follow him and close the balcony door as he sits behind his desk and begins to read through your work.

"My my, Jessie. Your work is exquisite! Every detail is perfect and well thought out. I had no idea..." He trails off as he continues to read. You sit down in front of him on the opposite side of the desk.

"Thank you Sir." You watch him intently as he flips through your diagrams.

"Well, it is certainly a good thing you work fast. The investors will be here any minute." He closes the folder and hands it back to you as he stands and straightens his suit jacket and hat. You begin to panic slightly.

"Any minute?! Your receptionist said they wouldn't be here for another hour!" You stand and follow him around the room anxiously.

"An hour? No I said half an hour." He sighs and shakes his head. "Mom never listens to me..." He says the last part very quietly. So quiet that you almost don't hear it.

"Sir I haven't had any time to prepare other than creating the pitch. I don't know what to say..." You look down at the floor and begin to pace back and forth. The Onceler grabs your shoulders and forces you to face him.

"It'll be okay Jessie. I'll be right here with you. You don't have to worry so much okay? You're going to do great." He smiles kindly and pulls you into a warm hug. You hear talking outside the door then a knock. The Onceler releases you and straightens your clothes a bit before smiling at you. "Time to shine." He turns and opens the door with a flourish.