Chapter 36: Julius

Start from the beginning

"Nazareth?"

He frowned a split second later. His voice sounded like sandpaper. He felt the inflammation in his throat, and the metallic scent in his breath mixed with the bitterness of his medication.

"Don't speak. Drink this first."

Julius, who was used to being hand fed on his worse days, lifted his head slightly and allowed Nazareth to hold a glass of water to his lips. He took slow sips, allowing the cool liquid to soothe the burning in his throat and wash away the taste of blood on his tongue.

He was hardly embarrassed by what was natural, yet a small part of him was self-conscious that he was sometimes unable to do even the simplest tasks. It was not an image he wanted to show to his peers, even less so to Nazareth of all people.

Nazareth's face was unreadable. He didn't even bat an eye after he took the water away. He helped Julius sit up in bed and reached for a bucket of water next to the sofa.

Julius noticed he had taken off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. He appeared oddly vulnerable with his forearms exposed.

Nazareth didn't look at him. His focus was on dipping a handkerchief into the bucket.

"You lost a lot of blood," he said, wringing the water out of the cloth.

Julius stared at his hands. "How long was I..."

"You were out for an hour. Your servant went to get a wheelchair," Nazareth stuffed the wet handkerchief into his hand. "Clean your face."

Julius did as he was instructed, but winced when he raised his arm.

Nazareth seemed to have noticed his reaction and blinked, "Light-headed?"

"No."

"You need more pain medicine. Your servant didn't bring enough tincture."

Julius was about to respond with a sarcastic comment, but Nazareth suddenly left the room.

Julius blinked.

Something was definitely wrong with Nazareth's head. You would think a kid who grew up in the streets would be used to blood and sickness by now. He was acting as if Julius would die at any moment.

Shrugging to himself, Julius ignored whatever Nazareth was doing outside the room and bore the pain of his arm to wipe his face.

It was half-assed and he could not reach any further than his brow.

At the very least, he felt a little more refreshed than he did before.

Placing the handkerchief down, he looked around the room.

There were flowers everywhere, wrapped in bouquets, growing in pots, and blooming in vases. He wondered if they had carried him to the florist's workspace.

A few minutes go by and Nazareth re-entered the room with a steaming bowl of brown-colored water.

What the fuck is this shit?

"Drink it," Nazareth insisted, bringing the bowl to his face.

Is he trying to kill me?

Julius leaned away.

Nazareth took a spoon and scooped up some liquid.

"Here, I'll help you drink it."

How about no.

"... What is it?"

Nazareth answered, "Dandelion leaves and Millow Bark. The leaves are meant to build blood and the bark is a mild pain reliever for your..." He looked meaningfully at Julius'... well... everything.