𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

Y/N POV

Y/N POV

I open the cap. It clicks satisyingly, and I wipe a little dew off the top. Dew ...

Everyone starts to drink. I bring the can up to my lips hesitantly. I take one sniff before I yell out, "Stop!" 

Gon says the same at the same time. We glance at each other and smile. "There's something-" Gon says.

"-that's off with this soda," I finish. 

Leorio immediately spits it out and starts raging. Kurapika calmly pours the soda on the floor. And Gon brings the can to his eye and starts peering into the can. 

My jaw drops. How ... what ... why?

I nudge the person next to me, Kurapika, lightly. "Hey, Pika. Is Gon alright?" I talk quickly and the first half of Kurapika's name gets jumbled up and cut off.

Kurapika looks around me in surprise. I look ahead, cheeks aflame in embarrassment. Thankfully, he doesn't do anything and looks up, staring at Gon. "No. Back up slowly, Y/N," he jokes. I laugh, slightly glad that his uptight demeanor from earlier is gone and that the atmosphere didn't get even more awkward.

Tonpa starts to beg for forgiveness. I roll my eyes at this pathetic man. Obviously, he spiked this drink earlier. After all, who just carries around sodas? Especially to this so-called Hunter Exam? I knew my instincts were right. 

Tonpa walks away. 

"I'll be right back guys. I'ma follow that guy. Don't wait up if the exam starts. I'll find you," I tell the three boys. 

"We'll see you later then, Y/N." Gon waves. 

Leorio sniffs in contempt. "Bold of you to assume that she'll make it to the second phase, considering you just picked her off the streets."

I snort, rolling my eyes. "Trust me when I say, Leorio, that, out of the two of us, there's only one that's going to emerge victorious."

"Um, yeah. Me."

I shrug. "Whatever you tell yourself." 

I then turn to start to follow Tonpa. Behind me, I can hear Leorio spitting profanities. I block him off, instead focusing on Tonpa. Something about him still seems . . . off. I hear him talking to himself about the other candidates. I learn information about them and laugh quietly at the funny encounters he had with them. 

Then a boy comes up to Tonpa. He has messy white hair and these beautiful sapphire blue eyes. He smiles at Tonpa. "Can I have more juice?" 

Tonpa gapes at him, and so do I. There was a toxin inside there, I think to myself. And if he has had many of these, which Tonpa's body language is suggesting, shouldn't he be sick?